Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Strange brake behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2010, 11:03 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange brake behaviour

Last Christmas I felt that my brakes were a bit too soft and spongy so asked MKar Subaru, Rochdale to take a look, back they came with "your discs are shot, heres a £500 to have new ones supplied and fitted."!!??

So went and saved myself £100 and changed from these

to these

upgraded as well from standard Subaru pads/discs to Godspeed Kevlas and grooved.

I got them fitted by Howard at Hdc Subaru at Hebdon Bridge (what an awesome guy) who saved me a fortune and said that the original pads and discs were fine and there was nothing wrong!!!

To be honest I cant tell the difference between the 2 set ups, so somethings is not right somewhere, also when I brake towards a junction and stop with the brake peddle still pressed all of a sudden it will go down a little further with no additional pressure added.

HELP, has anyone come across this before, or have any suggestions as to what is gong on?

Last edited by SRSport; 01 June 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01 June 2010, 11:11 AM
nks
Scooby Regular

Have you changed your brake fluid? If not, it is well worth doing.
Old 01 June 2010, 11:16 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Hi, yes that got changed as well. Does it sound as though there could be an air bubble trapped? Its just strange how both set ups felt spongy and lacking in bite.
Old 01 June 2010, 11:23 AM
nks
Scooby Regular

Definitely sounds like an air-lock in the brake system then, I had the same issue on an '05 one. Maybe one of your brake lines has a leak/crack in it.

My advice is to, buy some braided brake lines from Ian Godney with some 5.1 fluid and get them professionally fitted and bled
Old 01 June 2010, 11:32 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nks
Definitely sounds like an air-lock in the brake system then, I had the same issue on an '05 one. Maybe one of your brake lines has a leak/crack in it.

My advice is to, buy some braided brake lines from Ian Godney with some 5.1 fluid and get them professionally fitted and bled
I noticed them and sound very tempting. Will give it a go. Are the brake lines that can be replaced by the braided items the most likely things to crack? Could it be somewhere else along the brake system?