Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Broken locking wheel nut (Mcgard)

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2010, 06:46 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken locking wheel nut (Mcgard)

Putting my wheel back on last night, gave the nuts a final nip, literally just a nip, and heard a crunch slowly removed the adaptor to see lots of shards of metal sprinkle the ground followed by a large chunk of the locking nut, basically the nut has broken across the face and it's length also destroying the adaptor in the process.

I tried braying a socket over it and using a bar but the nut just span and fell of the remains of the LWN.

So now I need to get the other nuts off now as well as try to remove what's left of the broken one but can't find anything on the Mcgard website that tallies with the code I have (04640)

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 26 May 2010, 10:20 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

I think McGard lockers have a longer code than that. I have a set that is OL*** ***** where the * is a number in two blocks, one of three and one of five. you may just have the last five. Also are these standard or ultra (with the hardened spinners, no above is for ultra). Actually I dislike lockers so much for the problems they cause that I usually don't usually fit them as my car is track only.
Old 26 May 2010, 11:09 AM
budd
Scooby Regular

lockers can be a proper pain in the as##, mine had them and no key I got one off with a chisel but the other were solid, some tyre fitters Kwik Fit etc can remove them at a cost, I'm a tight git so found my own method,I loosed the normal nuts then drove round abit, then retightened the nuts and this had loosened the locking nut enough to get it with lonh nose mole grips, a bit drastic but it worked it's just a matter of doing one at a time and been careful
Old 26 May 2010, 07:33 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D1CCY
I think McGard lockers have a longer code than that. I have a set that is OL*** ***** where the * is a number in two blocks, one of three and one of five. you may just have the last five. Also are these standard or ultra (with the hardened spinners, no above is for ultra). Actually I dislike lockers so much for the problems they cause that I usually don't usually fit them as my car is track only.
The only code I have is the one on the Adaptor, all it says is McGard 04640 and that's it.

I'd rather avoid the 'hammer & chisel' at the moment as the wheels are Magnesium and don't want to damage them.
Old 27 May 2010, 10:36 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Try "Exclusive Tuning and Design" 0870 300136 or 01392 822660. They supplied my McGard nuts and a spare key. They may be able to help from the code you have.

email: sales@exclusivetuning.com

Sorry, website seems to have been hijacked, hope they are still in business, suggest you phone.

Possibly try http://www.mcgard.com/Home/About/CustomerService
but this is in america but does give spares info.

Last edited by D1CCY; 27 May 2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Website prob
Old 28 May 2010, 06:03 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Track Torque got two off LeeP's car a few weeks back when an airgun wielding "grease monkey" sheared one of his, leaving two on the car...

HTH

dunx
Old 28 May 2010, 07:07 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Went to a place called Dynomec who are on here coincidently. Based in Castleford, West Yorks. They've patented their own locking wheel nut removed kit for cases such as mine.

10 minutes is all it took to remove all four locking nuts with absolutely no damage to my wheels at all! and all for £30

Top set of guys, I would've been royally stuck without their help
Old 28 May 2010, 07:07 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Went to a place called Dynomec who are on here coincidently. Based in Castleford, West Yorks. They've patented their own locking wheel nut removed kit for cases such as mine.

10 minutes is all it took to remove all four locking nuts with absolutely no damage to my wheels at all! and all for £30

Top set of guys, I would've been royally stuck without their help
Old 28 May 2010, 07:25 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Coool !