Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

new scooby owner braking help.....

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2010, 12:05 AM
paul_oc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new scooby owner braking help.....

Hi There,

I brought a 2002 impreza wrx wagon with PPP 6 weeks ago, i'm loving it!!!
I'm starting to 'push' a bit harder now i'm getting more used to the car- exploring its limits a bit more- which is great fun.... the question is- do the brakes on wrx's always feel so meaty and lacking in bite? Basically you have to apply quite a lot of pressure to REALLY stop the car in a hurry- although the brakes do feel quite progressive....

I test drove a few imprezas before i settled for this one and they all felt a bit dead in the braking department... is this just a trait of the car? I expected a bit more immediacy out of the brakes... the last car i had, a 200 SX S14 had awesome brakes compared to the wrx!

cheers,

Paul

Last edited by paul_oc; 12 April 2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12 April 2010, 10:58 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Unlike a lot of modern cars the Scoob is not overassisted. I had a pug 306 courtesy car a while ago that was so overassisted I found it difficult to brake smoothly. You could go for better pads that will go a long way to sorting your concerns. For road only Ferodo DS2500 works well, alternatively Pagid RS 421 or for more bite RS42. Call Alyn at ASPerformnce on 0191 4103770 for advice and supply.
Old 12 April 2010, 12:48 PM
Pete.
Scooby Regular

this is incredibly common, its just how the impreza is, especially the older models, they all feel like theyre lacking but as said, they just arent over assisted like newer cars
Old 12 April 2010, 01:28 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It must be as the guys have mentioned, about them not being over assisted, because they have the same brake caliper set up as an S14. 294mm 4 pot fronts.
Old 12 April 2010, 02:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'd ask what are you used to driving;

Impreza brakes are bit like a old RS turbo or 1980's Jaguar. Solid hardish pedal (it should not be spongy) but requiring more effort to press than most modern cars. This I may add is how brakes should be; overassited brakes leads to a false sense of security IMO.

For example if you are used to driving a modern French car with feather sensitive brakes then a classic Impreza's will feel almost non-functional in comparison.

Ther are exceptions, so I suggest trying to find another similar spec/age impreza to compare; For example if the car has been standing outside the brakes can rust up and even when driving, the braking surfaces can become dull and pitted. This can cause reduced performance during hard use requiring much more pedal effort, but may not be noticable during light use. I noted this last week on my old Impreza which now belongs to my mate; He broke his foot so can't drive and he asked me to take it for a spin to blow out the cobwebs ( And a type RA decided to have a play ); It doesn't get used much as its a weekend car, plus hasn't moved for several months and is parked outside. I immediately noticed that brakes are underperforming and on further inspection it looks like the disk surfaces need a light regrind as the braking surfaces are very dull, despite being "excercised". The fluid probably needs changing too.

So, yes they are bit wooden, but with above in mind, one still needs to keep an eye out. So if in doubt get someone who is more familiar in Imprezas to check it out

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 April 2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 13 April 2010, 12:29 AM
paul_oc
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the replies....
yeah i guess i'm just getting used to the feel- and the fact that you need to lean on the pedal a bit to really stop.... i.e the brakes don't feel grabby like most cars these days... as pointed out....

I think i'm going to get some better pads fitted- so i have more confidence..... i'm finding it a little difficulty to balance being gentle on the throttle (at speed) but hard on the brake pedal in comparison- especially in those early/mid corner drifty situations where sometimes you need a dab on the brakes to loosen the back end up or just take the edge off to get the front wheels to bite.... anyway i'm no race-car driver so i can wait until the next service to get the pads fitted- i actually got the subaru as a work vehicle, hence getting a wagon- but its too easy to get carried away!!!

Regardless- i'm so happy with my impreza- awesome car- you can have loads of fun without ever feeling on the edge- the 200SX i had was just scary on the roads if you pushed near its limits, terrifying in the rain!