Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

difference budget vs performance tyres

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2010, 09:05 PM
hybrid12
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference budget vs performance tyres

as above is there loads of difference between budget tyres eg fullrun and performance tyres like toyo proxes? for just everyday driving as there is a huge cost difference and didnt reall want to spend the extra (almost double in cost!) if the gain was onlu minimal and not really that noticeable, any info much appreciated
Old 25 March 2010, 09:20 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Fullruns are worse than remoulds,never ever scrimp on things like tyres and brakes.If you can't afford decent tyres, save up
Old 25 March 2010, 09:26 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Be tight with your tyres, end up in a bush! Try Falken FK452 if you want budget.
Old 26 March 2010, 10:14 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

If you think Toyo Proxes are expensive, think again. If you're going to skimp on tyres it means your going to skimp on everything else IMO, tyres are the last thing to skinmp on.

Makro are doing 5litres of Castrol GTX for £12, FYI
Old 26 March 2010, 10:38 AM
hybrid12
Scooby Regular

Jay why don't you keep your smart *** commets to your self I posted this thread to get help as Im not hugely knowledgble about these things so I don't need idiots to put comments on like this !!
Old 26 March 2010, 10:48 AM
Mogsmex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hybrid12
as above is there loads of difference between budget tyres eg fullrun and performance tyres like toyo proxes? for just everyday driving as there is a huge cost difference and didnt reall want to spend the extra (almost double in cost!) if the gain was onlu minimal and not really that noticeable, any info much appreciated

massive differance, theres little point in buying a performance car and putting hong kong phooey tyres on it,

also something to bear in mind when it comes to sell, If I'm buying a performance car and I go look and it's got "ditchfinder pro's" on it I will walk straight away as I do ask myself what else have they scrimped on...........

fair enough on an everday shed finding the most diabolical cheap ones becomes part of the game, found some realy nice ones with flames printed on the side ounce lol, I gather that was a hint at what was to come if you tried any sprited driving on them
Old 26 March 2010, 10:33 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

falken fk 452 reasonable price and ex tyres
Old 27 March 2010, 02:50 PM
zayd
Scooby Regular

No one said Scoob's were cheap to run. I think if you want to save on tyres just get the cheapest performance tyres you can. Something like Vredstein's and Toyo's.
Old 27 March 2010, 03:26 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought Hankook RS2 as a cheap way of having road/track tyres and they have been awful on the road, loss of traction, wheels spinning, car not going straight! , i've just put vredestein ultrac sessantas on and the difference in grip is huge. they are excellent in the wet, have yet to feel any loss of grip, no wheel spinning, car goes in a straight line again. they give great confidence. they have a stiff wall but are not like 'hardcore' Bridgestone RE070 tyres which i found were all or nothing. I paid £79 a corner for 225/45/17's from camskill recently.
Old 27 March 2010, 03:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Think about it, hybrid: even with Scoob wide tyres, the ACTUAL bit in contact with the road is about the size of a large man's foot.

And THAT area has to grip, clear water, flex, allow for surface imperfections, etc etc at silly speeds and quick cornering, not to mention steer too.

DON'T scrimp on tyres, you could end up paying with your life
(Ah sh*t, now I'm writing advertising copy )
Old 27 March 2010, 08:19 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I bought two cheap tyres for the winter, thinking that 7mm of cheap rubber was better than 2 mm of Yokohama's finest....

WRONG ! They were hard as concrete and the wet weather grip was atrocious.
I tried to kill them by using them on a trackday, and they just laughed it off, hardly any wear ( or grip ! ).

So as stated, cheap tyres + rain = verge + ditch + hedge.
It's braking performance that a good tyre will excel at, wet and dry.

All IMHO.

dunx

P.S. My pal KojaK has just bought the Falkens and rates them better than Toyos...

Last edited by dunx; 27 March 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 29 March 2010, 12:41 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above, i put some yang kang death master on £56 a corner. Was ok in dry weather or seamed ok for normal drivin, but wet weather was a joke.
Old 01 April 2010, 05:12 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm also looking into getting new front tyres, and am wondering what to get. Ive currently got three Avon ZZ3 - two back one front and an Avon ZZ1 on the front.

I've looked at reviews and most people seem to think they are above average, just wondering if those on scoobynet had a different opinion.

Ive got standard 16'' rims if thats a help. Price wise Im thinking of £80 per 'corner' or £160 total.

Also do you go by the scooby recommended inflation pressures 33psi front & 28psi rear. Fronts seem to deflate to 28psi quite quickly.
Old 01 April 2010, 11:04 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I personally do not see the point in trying to save money on crap tyres.
Sessantas are miles ahead of the Toyo's i have had, will never buy Toyo again while ever i can buy Sessantas. Before these i had Goodyear Asymmetrics and they were good but the Sessantas are the best tyres i have ever had.
Old 01 April 2010, 11:27 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

doesn't matter how good the car is (fast,brakes, suspension etc) the only point of contact it has with the road is it's tyres, so surely would make sense to put the best you can afford there?!?!!? there will always be a trade off between grip/wear-rate/cost as everyone has different budgets/preferences/useage..........
Old 01 April 2010, 11:36 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

sessantas are relatively cheap and are a pretty good tyre. you can get 215 x 17 for £77 plus del from http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...7,_215/40_R_17
Old 02 April 2010, 02:48 PM
wrx-kurt
Scooby Regular

always stuck with toyo t1r and never had a fault with them. not bad price and good in all weather i think. i always stick to what you know best.
Old 02 April 2010, 08:11 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Think about it, hybrid: even with Scoob wide tyres, the ACTUAL bit in contact with the road is about the size of a large man's foot.

And THAT area has to grip, clear water, flex, allow for surface imperfections, etc etc at silly speeds and quick cornering, not to mention steer too.

DON'T scrimp on tyres, you could end up paying with your life
(Ah sh*t, now I'm writing advertising copy )
+1

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
I personally do not see the point in trying to save money on crap tyres.
Sessantas are miles ahead of the Toyo's i have had, will never buy Toyo again while ever i can buy Sessantas. Before these i had Goodyear Asymmetrics and they were good but the Sessantas are the best tyres i have ever had.
+1

Originally Posted by gallois
sessantas are relatively cheap and are a pretty good tyre. you can get 215 x 17 for £77 plus del from http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...7,_215/40_R_17
This is the best tyre i've had and the one you should be looking to buy, these IMO should easily be in the £100+ bracket.

Aaron
Old 02 April 2010, 08:14 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if Avon and there ZZ range are any good?
Old 02 April 2010, 09:02 PM
scoobyboothy
Scooby Regular

i had avon zz3 on the front and falken 452's on the back of a vectra i use to have, and they handle well in the wet and dry, i would def hav a go at putting that combination on my scooby when the time comes
Old 05 April 2010, 04:41 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had avons 215/45/17 (ZR) on my old galant , good tires lasted about 18k ,griped well in the wet and dry
have perilli p6000 on scoob atm , good also..

friends of mine have tryed budget tyres (wusung's etc) on things like astra sri's golfs etc etc and they are tbh dangerous in the wet and squiel and slide about in the dry convincing my freind to switch to bridgestones made a MASSIVE difference to how much the astra would straight line in corners (understeer) it still did but MUCH better.
At the end of the day you should never skimp on brakes or tyres , its your life + who ever else u have in the car with you your risking for the sake of a few quid, not worth it

Last edited by Ginola; 05 April 2010 at 04:45 PM.