Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Asymmetric tyres

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2010, 01:38 PM
shamone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asymmetric tyres

Just received 2 vredestein ultrac sessantas from Camskill. They look great but it appears that I have two nearside tyres rather than one left and one right.

As far as I am aware, typically when there are widening grooves in a tread pattern, the narrow (or pointy) end hits the tarmac first with the wider end of the groove rolling on afterwards to aid the dispersion of water. The pair I have received seem to both be lefties, so the left one “points” forwards when looking from the top, with the right one pointing backwards. Now before anyone tries telling me to turn it around, I’m not that stupid or at least not in this case anyway!! These tyres have a specific inside and outside edge so can only go on one way and are marked up showing this.

I rang camskill to inquire, and they said they’d had a lot of queries about these for the same reason – but, they were supposed to be like this as they are asymmetric tyres. The tread would look strange as they appeared to rotate the wrong way on one side, and when on the car they should look odd. As such, there is no right / left specific tyre and what I had received was fine.

Now I thought that an asymmetric tyre just had a specific inside / outside edge, but could still be directional………..

Can anyone help me out here – particularly if you have these tyres fitted yourself - as I’m just getting confused!!!!
Old 17 February 2010, 02:26 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Yeah they are right. it was confusing as when I first noticed this on mine, there was a thread a while back about this too.
Old 17 February 2010, 02:31 PM
vash
Scooby Regular

I have the Eagle ones..

Same question I asked Revolution .

Over a year later and they are awesome
Old 17 February 2010, 02:32 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Have a read here:
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...pressures.html
Old 17 February 2010, 03:08 PM
shamone
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the quick replies people!! I'd seen that thread the link sent me to, but i'd only read half of it as i thought it was just about pressures. There was another link on that to the vredestein site that explained it again with diagrams - all is now clear!!

It does look very strange though and i'm expecting the guys in the garage to query it too when they get fitted at the weekend!!