Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Sticky Rear Pads / disc noise on 01 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2009, 09:55 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Rear Pads / disc noise on 01 WRX

I’ve been experiencing a problem whereby the rear pads don’t bite the rear discs that well, leaving a fine layer of rust on them. Frustratingly, the pads just lightly touch the disc so you hear a light rubbing sound under normal driving conditions.

Today I bought new pads and took to stripping the rear 2 pot callipers to see if they were playing up. Removing the original pads was a nightmare, they seemed to be stuck fast in the calliper and only broke free after some extreme persuasion from a hammer!

All shims were removed and cleaned up with wet and dry paper, along with the badly corroded pins. I also cleaned up the calliper body where the shims sit as this was pitter and corroded.

The pistons were tested by pressing the brake pedal without pads in the calliper, this moved the pistons out. I was then able to check the seals and move each of the pistons back and fourth by applying pressure to each piston in turn with a lever.

After a blast of brake cleaner aerosol and a coating of copper grease where needed, the new pads were ready to go back in. Now herein lies the problem. The new pads didn’t slot in easily, they were an extremely tight fit (just like removing the old pads), again needing some persuasion to fit.

This got me thinking, if the pads are so tight in there, there’s no way in which they can move that much. What I think is happening is that the pads are essentially locked and just don’t move. They seem to be pushed out to the disc just enough to provide light pressure (enough to hear the pad grab the disc on wheel rotation) but not enough to really bite the disc.

With the new pads in, under heavy breaking they will bit the disc but I still get a light rubbing sound during normal driving, as if the rear pads are still lightly touching the discs.

I’m thinking of removing the pads and taking some material off their edges so that they will slot into the calliper far easier. Perhaps this will enable them to move and not lightly bit the disc.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar on newage rear 2 pots? If so, what did you do to resolve the problem?

Thanks,
Dean.
Old 29 August 2009, 10:03 PM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

Good clean and reasemble with copper grease, they do seem slightly too tight, the slightest bit of crap and they stick
Old 30 August 2009, 06:27 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wagon Gaz
Good clean and reasemble with copper grease, they do seem slightly too tight, the slightest bit of crap and they stick
Cheers fella.

They have had a good clean, new pads and plenty of copper grease and still they seem to bind. Just get's on my nerves when driving, as soon as the window goes down all I can hear is that slight pad to disc grind from the rear!

I'll give them a week or two to bed in and if all fails I'll take a mill of material from the side of the pads (carrier not pad material) to allow them some movement in the calliper.
Old 30 August 2009, 11:37 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

interesting read

i'm having exactly this problem with my newage rear 2 pots, but i've only got a problem with the inside of the discs (hence not really visible in day to day looking round the car). get the same metallic scratching noise as well.

had the rear calipers/discs taken off a month ago and the pistons seemed sticky, so free'd them up and put it back together. problem hasn't gone away though. the inside of the discs is badly rusted up around the inside, as if the pad isn't making proper contact with the disc.

as the discs are stuffed, i was going to get new discs/pads and a new seal kit for the calipers, and hope that its sorted once and for all... maybe its just a certain brand of pads that don't fit the 2 pots properly??
Old 30 August 2009, 11:44 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

i also have this for my '07, sounds like it's the rear.........stripped down, copper greased, and still there, a few hard applications sorts it for that trip, but it returns when i use the car next. although when it is there it is kind of embarrasing, makes the car sound shed-esque.