Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

STi Type UK Caliper and Disk Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 07:19 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Markus
Ive been thinking along similar lines but having spoken to richard we've been talking about a different measurement. Richard says that from the outer disc surface to the outside edge of the calliper ='s 64mm.

Dave
Ive got the same interest as Markus and i too would be very grateful if you could do the above measurement for me. Basically its just a case of sticking a measuring tape through the spokes and measuring from the edge of the disc to the inner edge of the alloy at the point on the alloy that the calliper would sit.
Im sure you know what i mean. it would also help to know how thick the brembo discs are.

I agree with you Dave about disc offset. im told though that the alloy bells of the movit kit uses the same disc offset as the standard discs (except they are 32mm thick).

One other question- would my 215/40 so2's go on this alloy, what other tyres on this alloy would fit a MY99?

Cheers for all your help

[Edited by matt b - 3/1/2002 7:24:26 PM]
Old 03 February 2002, 10:16 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

JJ

We will be going to 18's. There will be the two Prodrive options, plus Pete Croney has a multi spoke BBS type wheel available soon that will fit. Others will no doubt become available.

As far as MY01/02 brake options are concerned, I had AP 6 pots on my '01 WRX which were brilliant, and the ScoobySport Brembo 4 pot kit fits under just about every 16 or 17" wheel.

Each to their own, but I cannot understand why so many people are trying to find ways to fit the Movits etc whan there are better brakes out there that bolt straight on and fit under just about any wheel

[Edited by Dave T-S - 3/2/2002 10:19:23 PM]
Old 01 March 2002, 05:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Question

Can any tell me the dimensions of the calipers and discs used on the front of the STi Type UK, ie; the fecking huge brembos. Preferably want the measurements in mm.

What I *really* want to know is:

Is the caliper wider than 146mm?

plus what's the exact size of the STi Type UK wheel.

as you can probably guess I'm trying to work out if the STi type UK wheels will fit over my movit brakes.

caliper is 146mm thick so wheel would need to accomodate that, plus , ooh probably 20mm more I would have though to clear the caliper.
Old 01 March 2002, 06:53 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Markus

Give me a day or so and i'll get the tape measure out on Carolyn's STi for you......

If you are still thinking of the Movit's, caliper thickness is misleading because the Movits may be spaced differently relative to the hub wheeel mounting face to the Brembos - but i'll do some measuring anyway. IIRC, the STi wheel is shown as ET53, but actually measures ET55 - but always remember the ET has no bearing on caliper clearance - it's spoke shape that dictates this.

Be in touch........
Old 02 March 2002, 08:20 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Right chaps, here we go.....

STi brake disc is 330mm x 30mm thick.

Disc inset = 22mm (disc outer face to wheel hub mounting flange).

Caliper thickness 145mm (thickest part, over pistons, ignoring bleed nipple, fluid pipe boss etc).

Outside of caliper off disc face 57mm.

Outside of caliper to wheel hub mounting flange = 34mm.

Disc outer face to wheel spoke clearance = 61mm.

Wheel spoke inner clearance to caliper = 5mm.

All measurements made with an accurate engineers steel rule, and should be accurate to about +/- 1mm, but all approximate and E&OE!!!!!
Old 02 March 2002, 08:52 PM
WRBlue
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Are you intending to stick with the standard 17"ers or looking at changing your wheels to 18s? There are a lot of MY01/02 owners perplexed as to how to upgrade brakes (ie, buy a STi set)and ensure that they procure the correct wheels. I lost out on a deal with "Joseph" over the huge clearances involved.

I have already commited to new wheels and the STi brakes just will not fit (boo-hoo). I would like to think that we can colectively advise our bretherin on the appropriate wheels that will accept these particular brakes

JJ
Old 04 March 2002, 09:00 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Dave.
Thanks a million for this! hmm, 145mm wide, have taken the comments about spacing on board. You know, I'm beginning to wonder how close the STi 7 brembo calipers are to the porker ones, because the sizes are rather close.

Anyway, thanks for getting the old measure out and prob looking very silly to anyone watching you! i owe you one.

Old 04 March 2002, 01:15 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Markus

No problem

Wasn't embarrassing measuring it - did it in the garage, which faces away from the road
Old 04 March 2002, 01:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wise man Dave, wise man

Old 04 March 2002, 02:44 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Question for Dave

Did you leave the AP 6 Pots on the 01 when you sold it or have you retained them for the STi

I am giving my car back to the dealer this Friday and taking an STi UK off them in exchange, good deal I thought, except for the shed load of money I have lost on my MY00. Having loved the wheels that you kindly sold to me, I am looking to get the 18" Gold OZ wheels that Prodrive are offering now.

Have you any idea on, one, do the 6-Pots go under the STi standard wheels and two, do they go under the 18" OZ wheels. Pretty sure the answer will be yes to both, especially the OZ wheels, but will not be getting the wheels for a month or two.

Still trying to decide whether to keep the AP's or not. Love them on my car now, and not sure just how good the Brembos will be in comparison. Decisions decisions....

Cheers

Simon
Old 04 March 2002, 05:25 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Simon

That is a nice "problem" to have! I guess that from Daves' comments above it will be fairly obvious as to his view.

Presumably if you chose to swap your STi wheels and brakes for some 18" OZs and the APs your going to have to get your standard MY00 brakes back on to the car pretty quickly.

Duncan
Old 04 March 2002, 06:12 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

YorksSimon

AP's WONT fit under STI wheels, you need to change the wheels too

I test drove an STI7 a week or so back. The brembo's ARE a good brake system, but they were'nt a patch on the AP 6 pots IMHO.
They felt and braked as well as an AP/brembo 4 pot system, but they seemed to lack that final 'stuka effect' that my AP6's have.

If you not going to go on track, or don't need to play dive bombers then the standard brembo's are great. If you need that extra 10ths of performance than the AP6 pots are still the daddies.

IMHO

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 3/4/2002 6:16:25 PM]
Old 04 March 2002, 08:26 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Simon
I did a deal with Tim to leave the AP's on the car. They were under Speedline GT1's which don't have an awful lot of clearance but were no problem.

Neil, I have to disagree, I will be surprised if the AP 6 pots don't go under the STi7 wheels. It is a relatively slim caliper. If I had been asked last week, I could have tried them as my old MY01 and Carolyn's new STi were parked next to each other at ScoobySport.

Will the AP's go under 18" OZ Prodrive 10 spokes? Again, I don't know, but I am sure they will, and there are people out there using this combo that will know.
Old 05 March 2002, 08:52 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Neil,
you talking about AP 6-pots? as in AP sixes won't fit under the STi 7 wheels? what about the standard MY01 wheels? I was under the impression that 6 pots would fit under the MY01 wheels, let alone the STi 7 wheels.

Old 09 March 2002, 01:47 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

AP6's will fit under standard MY01 wheels.
Dave, i'm only repeating what i've been told by a few people now, about AP's not fitting STi wheels. I guess the truth will out sooner or later