Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

KHUMO ECSTA supra's!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2009, 04:27 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KHUMO ECSTA supra's!!!

Anyone else on here running these tyres, the reason i ask is that i am, and i find them quite poor in all conditions, they are 225/40z r18's and im at 370bhp/405lbs.ft, just noticed my fronts are worn down on inside edges and need replacing, changing all four isnt an option at the moment so do i just get two more khumo's or run mis-match tyres front/rear, is there such a thing as a good budget tyre for my car? Thanks. Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 Tire Reviews & Ratings - Rate or Review a Tire

Last edited by Black-Hawk; 13 April 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 13 April 2009, 04:37 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

tend to be budget tyres that come with wheel upgrades normally like £50 a corner and when your running big power tyres come as no 1 priority
Old 13 April 2009, 06:58 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got them on the front of my Focus ST225 and they are awful in the wet. It understeers everywhere in the wet and spins in the 1st 4 gears They don't seem as bad in the dry but I can't wait to get them off the car.
Old 13 April 2009, 09:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Look st Toyo or Yokohama fella. They're a combination of price and performance.

I had Kumho's on my old WRX back in 2006, they're an awful tyre.

Ah, found this which may be of use to you also...
Tyre reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres

I've just bought 2 Uniroyal Rainsport II tyres for my 205GTi as the rears were nearly bald after swapping them round with the fronts a few months back.

HTH
Old 13 April 2009, 09:36 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yokohama parada spec 2 tyres are excellent and not skittish in the wet unlike other yoko's.
Old 13 April 2009, 09:46 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

How about different tyres on front and rear till i wear the rears out
Old 13 April 2009, 10:24 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

i'm running yoko spec 2's without issue...
although i always go "steady eddie" in the wet anyway...!!!

cant see an issue running different front and backs, as long as the rolling circumference is the same and you learn the charateristics and limits before giving it beans!!!! (as with all new tyres)

get your geometry checked at the same time!!

Old 13 April 2009, 10:47 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza

get your geometry checked at the same time!!

Thats the plan, a trip to powerstation is on the cards.
Old 13 April 2009, 10:50 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Only thing I've heard about running different tyres front/back is something to do with directional or asymmetrical tread patterns. Can't rememebr exactly what it was but something needed to be matched up.

As said, I've currently got Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's all round and have 2 Uniroyal Rainsport II's on order to replace the rears, which will be swapped to the front. Having a FWD car, I'd like more tread at the wheels woth power, plus they'll wear more even.

In my personal experience, the Eagle F1's are the best tyres I've ever had on ANY car. Better than Toyo's, Yoko's and obviously Kumho's in the wet.

Looking at tyre reviews, the Rainsport II is one of the few tyres for reasonable money better than them in the wet Even being skint, I refuse to buy cheap tyres for the car, as they may save my life one day in lareish conditions
Old 14 April 2009, 09:37 AM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

A couple of the local SWS guys rate these Falken FK452, anyone on here running them and what are they like?http://www.falkentyres.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=308

Last edited by Black-Hawk; 14 April 2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 14 April 2009, 09:15 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ANYONE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 14 April 2009, 09:52 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I've heard the Falken 452's are a good tyre all round. When I called Camskill asking for some advice, they recommended the Falken 912's also...

Falken FK452 reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres

Falken ZE912 reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres

Seems the 452 is the better of the 2 though.

Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres :: R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18 ::
Good prices also, I'd personally go with the Eagle F1, however as they are soo good in the wet
Old 15 April 2009, 07:20 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I've heard the Falken 452's are a good tyre all round. When I called Camskill asking for some advice, they recommended the Falken 912's also...

Falken FK452 reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres

Falken ZE912 reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres

Seems the 452 is the better of the 2 though.

Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres :: R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18 ::
Good prices also, I'd personally go with the Eagle F1, however as they are soo good in the wet
Spoke to a mate of mine who owns a tire bay/workshop today, he told me the falken452 were being replaced by the 912, anyway i order'd a pair of khumo ecsta supra 712's because 1) im doing the rear ARB and having the geometry set up at powerstation in a week or two, and hope this will make better use of the tyres, 2) did'nt want to run different tyres and risk upsetting what little balance i have, and 3) they were cheap, £90+vat for the pair
Old 15 April 2009, 10:12 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby401
Spoke to a mate of mine who owns a tire bay/workshop today, he told me the falken452 were being replaced by the 912, anyway i order'd a pair of khumo ecsta supra 712's because 1) im doing the rear ARB and having the geometry set up at powerstation in a week or two, and hope this will make better use of the tyres, 2) did'nt want to run different tyres and risk upsetting what little balance i have, and 3) they were cheap, £90+vat for the pair
Sorry, but I think you've made a mistake there then and secretly gone for the 'cheaper' option. Sod balance, I'd be getting a decent tyre all round on the Scoob. If £103.50 is the difference between you staying on the road or making your wallet thicker - I know what I'd choose, and I'm unemplyed

You makes your choices, and the Kumho's are a bad one imho.

Just to add as I don't wanna come across harsh...

"Given 40% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Celica GT4 (215-50-16-V)
Driving on a combination of roads for 18,000 spirited miles
Great price but the tyre shows for it. Admittedly I probably shouldnt be expecting too much from a budget tyre on a 300+bhp car but considering price isnt too bad in dry condition. As soon as the water falls though expect unpredictable cornering even from a 4wheel drive coupe! Stopping power not too bad either fairly hard to lock up. Have found these tyres produce a fair bit more road noise than past tyres (namely BS Potenzas) but seem to hardly wear at all. Not sure would buy again think ill spend that bit more and stay with Bridgestone."

And...

Given 53% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Fabia vRS (205-40-17-W)
Driving on mostly country roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Wear Wasnt bad, thii the tread ripped off the sidewall!!
Camber/castor/toe was all fine, and the guy who checked the alignment (who sets up touring cars) said the tyre could have a faulty manufacture issue.

See my point?

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 15 April 2009 at 10:16 PM.