Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wonder wheels alloy cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2002, 01:39 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Most of you lot probably know about this stuff. I've got gold 18inch OZ on my car and as all of you that own these will know they are a real pain in the **** to clean. Before I was just using Fairy liquid, this worked fine but didn't get into the small places like where the bolts are and also didn't get rid of those really annoying black specks that you get and you have to rub with you finger nail to get rid of, even then they sometimes just won't come off. So I bought some of this Wonder wheel stuff, and bloody hell does it work well. You get a brush with it so you can get right into the bolts and you just wash it off and the wheels look new. Just thought I'd share that so if your having trouble with your alloy's, go out and buy some.
Old 25 February 2002, 01:50 PM
divecon
Scooby Regular

Not tried that one but the Autoglym clean wheels product is very good as well, very low level of acid content (so doesn't attack the surface too much) but does seem to move the dust effectively, I've used it on my Sport for the last three years and that car is going back on Friday with wheels that look like they've come out of the showroom!

Talking about that what is the general consensus on cleaning products? Is Autoglym the brand of choice or are there better products out there?

Sorry to hijack the thread like this, just like to see what the 'weapons of choice' are?

Cheers

Neil
Brighton, Sussex
Old 25 February 2002, 01:57 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

I've got mainly autoglm stuff - and just brought some wonderwheels at the w/end (not tryed it yet!)

However, I was recommended Mer for the car shampoo and it's great Lovely finish and very little effort, seems to be lasting for ages as well...

Jen
Old 25 February 2002, 02:40 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Wonder Wheels is very good, one word of caution be careful with the brush. It is metal where the brushes fix into the handle and you can scrape the wheels with it.
Old 25 February 2002, 02:42 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

I used wonderwheels every week for 2 years on my wheels and it has gradually taken the laquer/paint off. I didnt notice it happening until I brought a secondhand set of wheels which hadnt ever had wonderwheels used on them. I was amazed at the difference. My old set look completely knackered and they are starting to corrode on the edges. It is great for removing break dust but be careful only use it occasionally and dont leave it on too long.

Hope this helps

Stuart
Old 25 February 2002, 03:00 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

yeh WW is very acidic youre supposed to wash it off with warm water after 10 minutes tops! u can use it daily if u need to, it wont strip the lacquer if u wash it off
Old 25 February 2002, 03:05 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

You lot must be mad, it's nothing more than glorified paint stripper!

The only reason it works so well is because it dissolves the deposits left on the wheel. Unfortuntely, it cannot discriminate between grime and paint/lacquer and dissolves both!

You're better off using warm water and car shampoo, with a non-scratch sponge (Sainsburys) for the stubborn spots.

At the end of the day, your wheels are only painted metal just like the car body, and you wouldn't dream of using an acidic cleaner on your paintwork would you?

Cheers,

MS
Old 25 February 2002, 03:07 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

DONT GET IT ON HOT CALIPERS!!!

it turned my black ones grey/white

mike
Old 25 February 2002, 03:09 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Martin true, but like I said if u wash it off after scrubbing it in to get rid of the stubborn ****, it wont harm your alloys. Ive been using this stuff for years on various cars, and not had a problem. You just have to RTFM. Also you dont realise how dirty your alloys are (after cleaning) until youve used WW
Old 25 February 2002, 04:19 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

I only used to leave mine on for 5 mins but it still gradually removed the laquer/paint. As I said you dont notice the gradual deterioration until you compare them to a set of wheels that hasnt been washed with WW. I used to swear by the stuff but not anymore. The best bet is just wash them with car shampoo and then give them a polish with autoglym and when you next wash the car nearly all of the dust just falls off.

Stuart
Old 25 February 2002, 08:11 PM
dpcc
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've always used autoglym wheel cleaner ... usually once a month but always applied a coat of autoglym polish to the wheels afterwards, seems to help with the weekly washing keeping the dust at bay!

David P
Old 25 February 2002, 09:07 PM
Sparks
Scooby Regular

Have used wonder wheels but you have to be very careful with it. I handle it very carefully.

Whats better is some stuff I found in halfords its in a silver squirty bottle ( like a non-aerosol de-icer bottle ).. forget what its called but its meant to be a protector against brake dust. You put it on and then buff it off, stops the brake dust biting into the wheels and ******** them up, doesn't strip lacquer off either. I didn't clean my wheels for about 3 months and simply went to them with a rag, all the crap just wiped off without scratching the alloys. It was about 3 or 4 quid, I reckon its a much better bet than cleaning off the gunk later with a acidic/ammonia based solvent...
Old 25 February 2002, 09:24 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Yeah I think you're meant wash it off as pretty much as soon as you've fished the wheel. I got it in a cut on my finger and it stung like hell. I usually wash my wheels every month or so, so I don't think they'll be a problem. Washing with normal detergant is cr*p because you can't get rid of those really dark specks.
Old 25 February 2002, 09:25 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Cool

Pete, I too have the gold 18" Oz wheels. I used to use autoglym clean wheels, but I have tried W/Wheels on past cars. I found W/wheels very strong which needed to be washed off quickly to avoid laqure damage. I find warm water with car shampoo works fine for a concours finish. Every few weeks they get a polish with autoglym polish. A few scoobynet members have pointed out how clean my wheels are, and how do I keep them that pristine state. Well there's the secret....
Cheers
Nigel
Old 27 February 2002, 08:51 AM
tmp
Scooby Regular

> DONT GET IT ON HOT CALIPERS!!!
> it turned my black ones grey/white
> mike

Me too

Did you manage to 'blacken' them up again?

Tim.
Old 27 February 2002, 03:05 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

tmp

no,aqd they seem to get whiter and whiter every week,still use the stuff though,but instead of chucking it on im conservative with it!

mike

Old 27 February 2002, 04:45 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

I got some of the wheel acid that my local Scooby garage use when they clean the car up - its spot on but as said somewhere above for WW its not good on the calipers. So seeing as must of us are paying a fair bit of cash for our servicing I'm sure they'd be prepared to dish a bit more out if asked. After all it helps them in the JD power survey and all that.