Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Some advise please?

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2009, 07:59 AM
mark34
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advise please?

I've recently bought a 2003 WRX as my everyday car and occasional trackday toy...Excuse my lack of detailed knowledge, but I think the car is a 224bhp version with the lower profile style rear spoiler.

The car is standard other than a K&N filter element, and I have no engine mods planned what-so-ever.

I did a track day at Bedford 2 weeks ago and was shocked by how bad the brakes and handling were, I could only manage 4 hot lap before the brakes started to seriously fade...So to address this I've fitted the below;

Eibach springs
DBA grooved front rotors
DS2500 front pads
Braided hoses
racing brake fluid
Whiteline rear anti roll bar bushes

What you need to remember here is that I don't want to **** about with the engine or fit a replacement exhaust, as this is my drive to work/wife can borrow/kids in the back car. Plus my limited driving talents don't justify adding more horse-power!...the existing grunt is more than enough for most tracks anyway.

The only other thing I fancy doing to address track speed is having some spare wheels with track tyres on(something like 888's)

Can anyone recommend the best wheel size/offset and tyre size combination? The existing wheels are 17" so I guess I'd stick to that size, but the stock wheels really don't fill the arches, so maybe a wider wheel and tyre could be fitted?

Any advise here would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark.

Last edited by mark34; 03 March 2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03 March 2009, 11:16 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mark, track down a set of STI alloys, 1/2" wider.

These will also clear the STI brake set-up I would recommend adding next time you up-grade, as even the std STI brakes are awesome, Performance Friction are a superb up-grade for track use.

On the rear fit a Whiteline adjustable ARB and drop-links, this will transform the handling, on fully stiff it's "drift-spec" for track use, middle setting is good for fast road, and softest for commuting/family duties. Bset value mod on my car, HONESTLY !

HTH

dunx

P.S. R888's are SO grippy, but some budget tyres are half the price ! Hankook, Federal, etc. ( Camskill ! )