Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake Kits

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2002, 02:03 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a noobeh in mods I was looking at all the brake kits on offer on the TSL and Scoobysport sites and was a little confused as to what u get for your money. On the TSL website I can see the Brembo kits advertised for £1250 + VAT but states it includes 2 discs. Then I see the Brembo/AP combo on Scoobysport for £1286 + VAT but states 4 goodyear hoses are included which to my uneducated mind means you get 4 discs. If so why is the TSL the same price for 2 only?
Old 20 February 2002, 02:17 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Smile

With the Scoobysport AP/Brembo kit you get 2 discs and calipers for the front and braided hoses put on all round.

Other than the braided hoses the back brakes are left alone.
Old 20 February 2002, 02:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ah so ur paying £1500 for front brakes only - I was shocked at the price and there was me thinking it was for all 4 corners. Is that cos there is no point upgrading the backs as you never really use them enough? Surely on a track day you would need them more?
Old 20 February 2002, 02:40 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

I would have thought too especially for racing - but i think the article on PC's car (japanese cars) says he upgraded all 4 corners. I'm sure someone will tell us, and put us in the light. Dont forget the add on for fitting- unless doing it yourself.
Old 20 February 2002, 02:46 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Obvious post-relocation post this will be

Braided hoses reduce (to like zero) expansion of the flexible brake lines, which gives increased pedal feel/action for pressure exerted

There is f'all point in just changing the fronts to braided and not the backs as the rears will expand & negate the benefits of the braided fronts.

The kits are for the fronts only. There are options for the rears too (u/r STi ones, pads etc) but they do less of the stopping then the fronts, which is why you cough the money on the fronts.

Brembo/AP kit as fitted to PTMW! uses the "standard" Brembo pad as supplied and lasts 1-2 trackdays (for me anyway). Standard subaru rears, which use OE pads, last 4-6. I would say that I'm quite mechanically sympathetic and smooth, so that g/line might differ for others I'm also not known for hanging around when on track

Old 20 February 2002, 03:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Cheers PTMW - everything I needed to know. Damn I was tempted by track days but with the cost of insurance, track fees, tyres and brakes its a small fortune to go even once.

As for normal day to day use do you really notice the difference i.e. your stopping distance is dramatically reduced and you have more control or do the benefits only really show on track?

/me looks at boss and suggests a pay rise.
Old 20 February 2002, 03:16 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

You who looks at boss, suggest pay-rise & he looks back at you & says "Get off the bloody Internet"

Day to day, not really and sometimes you think worse as the set-up is more for hard use than it gets. ie come up to a junction with cold brakes & you wonder if you'll stop You do. Where the benefit on road comes is 70mph into an empty roundabout & hit the brakes inside the 50m mark It'll stop It'll do it all day Time after time I'd say that once warmed up (& they warm up quickly) they'll stop you a fraction quicker. You won't get brake fade either.

If you've bought/buying a P1, you can't be so tight Just get them & get out on track

Old 20 February 2002, 04:02 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Oi oi less of the lip.

Im not at work - I work 4 on 4 off. Even if I was I work in an Operations Centre so "web browsing" as you call it is under the job description as "proactive network checking".

I was looking at a P1 but for me (2 years outta Uni) £24k, insurance and tracker (+ brakes if P1 I got came with standards) is not practical. Affordable yes, practical no. So Im either looking elsewhere at a new S3 (cheap to insure and once chipped will keep tags on a standard scoob). Or buying a 2nd hand X reg low miles turbo for £16k and spending £4kish on brakes, wheels, suspension, exhaust and rear spoiler.
Old 20 February 2002, 04:47 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

P1Fanatic,

I have just ordered a brake upgrade for my P1 and can vouch having tried the before and after that it is money well spent.

As a cheaper alternative I have heard updgrading to Pagid pads discs braided lines and uprated fluid. There was a thread in the brakes section on this a while back. Apparently Scoobysport will sell you the right kit.