Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Am I going Mad!

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2008, 08:35 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Am I going Mad!

Right bear with me here but I'm needing some feedback.

I had some Performance Friction discs and pads fitted a while back on a MY02 STi, initially had a problem with a rattling disc but eventually got this resolved with new spring clips.
Anyway after this was all fixed I had a really firm brake pedal with excellent feedback however over time I started to get some play in the pedal. It got quite bad one trip that I drove straight to the dealer where they found the nearside front wheel was loose. This was traced to loose wheel hub nut which was torqued back up but the dealer suggested as a precaution to replace the wheel bearing. This was done a couple of days later but very soon I was getting play in the pedal after I turned left or right for one push, but would be ok again after that in a straight line (however never back to a solid pedal like when first fitted). So went back to the dealer again where they identified a problem with a "hub-front axle" which was replaced with no labour charge.
Anyway not to bore you anymore, I still get play on the pedal for one press only after I turn left or right but ok again when straight (again never like when the brakes were first fitted).
My question is why is my car pushing a piston back in slightly on a caliper (cos i think thats what's happening) when I turn?
And have I wasted £££'s changing a wheel bearing, front hub axle and alignment?

Forgot to add new brake fluid (motul)was changed in April.

Cheers, Rob.
Old 21 November 2008, 09:40 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely sounds like pad knockback. I had a slightly loose NSF hub nut which gave slight knockback and a clunk in the transmission, Scoobyclinic took it all apart for me declared the bearing OK and put it back together and its been fine since. Silly question - have you checked the offside for similar problem.
Old 25 November 2008, 01:11 PM
rob_1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its nothing to do with the brake hose?, perhaps kinking/squeezing when you turn, i know if not fitted right, they will go on, but can rub, or cause other problems when turning..

thats if they have been replaced of course..

just a thought..
Old 25 November 2008, 06:51 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, I have Goodridge braided hoses all round so I don't think it's them.

Am getting the car checked again at the dealer hopefully this week.