Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

RE070's back on!

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2008, 07:21 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts
Default RE070's back on!

After struggling for 1k miles on PS2's I've gone back to the Bridgestones, they are not perfect, but for my money the extra grip and confidence they give is worth the sacrifices with noise\tramlining and wet weather pace.

Car is 05STi and too anyone who has not tried these tyres on such a car due to negative comments, I'd like to counter that and say they are brilliant.

If you want a tyre for comfort, buy a Focus !
Old 03 August 2008, 07:35 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brilliant aren't they Added over 30mph to my cornering speeds, but I had a spare set of wheels with 'normal' tires on for wet/winter.
Old 03 August 2008, 07:46 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Great in the wet or dry IMHO.
Old 03 August 2008, 08:34 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 172sport
Great in the wet or dry IMHO.
I'd say interesting in the wet but great in the dry
Old 03 August 2008, 09:19 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are only bad on greasy roads.
I have two sets of wheels, one with 225 070s and the other with 235 PS2s.
In the dry, I dont think there is that much between them, but PS2s fall to bits on the track.
I will probably stick the PS2s back on when temps drop in Oct/Nov.
Old 05 August 2008, 05:09 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

I liked the grip in wet and dry but found the tramlining gave me no confidence. Happy to have got rid !
Old 05 August 2008, 05:14 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

I think you need to have good allignment (ie loads of castor) to avoid tramlining.
I don't seem to get any with my AST type 25 setup.
Expensive solution though.
Old 05 August 2008, 05:26 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
I think you need to have good allignment (ie loads of castor) to avoid tramlining.
Interesting .. not heard that view before !
Old 05 August 2008, 05:49 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I just didn't like the squirming around on any greasy surface, white lines in particular. Loved them in the dry and on track, but I push cars very hard and need a wet weather tire which won't throw up something unexpected when seriously pushing on. May to September for RE070's, Vredestein, Toyo or Goodyear through the winter for me.
Old 05 August 2008, 08:13 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt-c
After struggling for 1k miles on PS2's I've gone back to the Bridgestones, they are not perfect, but for my money the extra grip and confidence they give is worth the sacrifices with noise\tramlining and wet weather pace.

Car is 05STi and too anyone who has not tried these tyres on such a car due to negative comments, I'd like to counter that and say they are brilliant.

If you want a tyre for comfort, buy a Focus !
funnily enough the first winter i ran ps2's on my spare set i really liked the better ride and better cold,damp grip. but this winter i didn't really like them and then when i put the reo70's back on they didn't feel harsh like they have before most weird

would agree with the geometry comment, mine have got better with each more aggressive set up. loads better since putting on prodrive springs aswell
Old 07 August 2008, 07:36 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

mmmm, Prodrive springs or coilover, that's the question for me next.

A bit concerned the coilovers will be hassle, but one of my struts has "slight misting of the oil" whatever that means.
Old 10 August 2008, 01:39 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Brilliant aren't they Added over 30mph to my cornering speeds, but I had a spare set of wheels with 'normal' tires on for wet/winter.
So you're saying that a bend you could normally take at say 40mph has increased to 70mph thanks to the RE070? Can't see it to be honest. They are a fantastic tyre I agree and I'm using the 18" version that came as standard on my RA-R but to add 30mph to cornering speed seems very excessive indeed.
Old 10 August 2008, 03:11 PM
reddishblue
Scooby Regular

30MPH ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Old 10 August 2008, 05:19 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by MrRA
So you're saying that a bend you could normally take at say 40mph has increased to 70mph thanks to the RE070? Can't see it to be honest. They are a fantastic tyre I agree and I'm using the 18" version that came as standard on my RA-R but to add 30mph to cornering speed seems very excessive indeed.
An m-way roundabout near me used to see the Toyo's breaking loose at about 50, the RE070's barely moved at 80. Similarly, on a favourite stretch of country road with some flowing bends mixed with tight twists I saw my confidence in the available grip add IRO 30. Not scientific, just my own experiences and observations. Unlike many Scooby owners, I used to drive my car, and drive it very hard. Instead of polishing it and then trundling along to a meet at 25mph I used to dedicate entire days, and entire tanks of fuel to enjoying the cars potential and honing my abilities both on road and on track, with significant additional tuition and qualifications over and above the Joe Public driving test. Some might think I'm a ****, and I respect your right to do so, but I object to being inferred as a liar. If I still had the car I would offer any of you the chance to come and see me drive it on both tires.
Old 10 August 2008, 08:01 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

An m-way roundabout near me used to see the Toyo's breaking loose at about 50, the RE070's barely moved at 80. Similarly, on a favourite stretch of country road with some flowing bends mixed with tight twists I saw my confidence in the available grip add IRO 30. Not scientific, just my own experiences and observations. Unlike many Scooby owners, I used to drive my car, and drive it very hard. Instead of polishing it and then trundling along to a meet at 25mph I used to dedicate entire days, and entire tanks of fuel to enjoying the cars potential and honing my abilities both on road and on track, with significant additional tuition and qualifications over and above the Joe Public driving test. Some might think I'm a ****, and I respect your right to do so, but I object to being inferred as a liar. If I still had the car I would offer any of you the chance to come and see me drive it on both tires.
lol, trundling along at 25mph to a meet
never had any expert tuition myself, but a couple of guys i know have had driver training. one is a copper in the armed protection section and the other has had IAM (i think) training and either of them could nail me in the corners in a normal WRX!! (probably a sport aswell) so a proper driver of our cars could exploit the limits of the cars a lot better than us normal skill level guys.

it's a relative comment aswell, you wouldn't expect to be able to take a 15mph hairpin at 45, but i could see the extra grip making a big difference on 30/40/ bends, so i wouldn't doubt corradoboy has found more speed in certain situations. plus it depends how big your bollocks are
Old 12 August 2008, 04:11 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

I've had the same, my RE070's used to tramline all over the shop on a motorway, A-roads and even some B-roads, had the allignment and geometry sorted properly and they don't tramline at all now. Even in the slow lane of the M25 where all the lorry ruts are - MUCH better

Still "entertaining" on greasey/slightly damp roads though
Old 12 August 2008, 05:54 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine tramlined like crazy on my T25, but boy did they grip! However, overall they were slower in a straight line - because it was impossible to drive in a straight line on the roads around here - real white knuckle stuff
Old 13 August 2008, 04:25 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

I didn't infer to you being a liar, I just said that I found the 30mph claim excessive that's all.

As for driving your car to its limit and enjoying it I'm all for it. That is something I wouldn't consider you being a **** for doing, just so long as it was under the right conditions. I gave my Spec C Type-RA hell as much as I could and now enjoy giving the same to my RA-R. We all know that Imprezas are drivers cars through and through and I enjoy driving them as they were intended to be and also like to see other people doing the same.

Last edited by MrRA; 13 August 2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 13 August 2008, 05:57 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XRS
Mine tramlined like crazy on my T25, but boy did they grip! However, overall they were slower in a straight line - because it was impossible to drive in a straight line on the roads around here - real white knuckle stuff
I can sympathise with that The straights are more of a challenge than the bends.
Old 13 August 2008, 07:24 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

Best tyre I've run, I prefer them on track to the 888's I'm currently running. They'll be going back on my car shortly.
Old 13 August 2008, 07:35 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luckyscoob
I can sympathise with that The straights are more of a challenge than the bends.
Ain't that the truth!