Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2002, 11:09 AM
GW2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silly question coming, but....I see that most brake upgrades only do the front calipers i.e. Prodrive. However is it possible to put the front calipers of a MY00 (4-pots) on the rear (with/without disks) and would you benefit from it??

I remember seeing the Mov-It group buy, but can't remember if they included a rear upgrade.

Apparently I now have to put on a flame retardant suit ...donned
Old 06 February 2002, 11:18 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I seem to remember Adam M was looking into this a while back. But, remember, Adam = fool = money = easily parted (Adam, only joking M8).

Debatable if it is necessary - the fronts do probably 80% or more of the work anyway, particularly if you upgrade them. I have AP 6 pots on my MY01, and at Donington last November even with the Leda suspension cranked right up the AP's were giving so much retardation under braking at the end of the back straight, and transferring so much weight to the front, I could feel the rears starting to lock up as the back end was so lightly loaded.

Looking forward to seeing how effective the STi7 Brembos are.....
Old 06 February 2002, 01:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Movit group buy was fronts only. They don't currently do a rear kit for the scooby, and I'm told that they probably won't, well, not for the 'classic' shape cars anyhow, might do one for 01's and later though.

have thought about getting maybe a godspeed or hi-spec rear 'big disk' conversion, though as Dave says the fronts do most of the work, and when the movit's are fitted I think the rears will not do too much
Old 06 February 2002, 08:53 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Don't waste your money on the rears... The gain will not be worth it. At most, go for some good pads.

MB
Old 07 February 2002, 07:40 PM
Anthony King
Scooby Regular

I would also steer clear of any rear wheel brake upgrades as you wouldn't get any braking benefit and may evan make the car dangerously tail happy under hard braking.

Probably the best way to improve braking is to first sort out the suspension.
Old 07 February 2002, 08:16 PM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

At least the rear brake upgrade will make you look good.
G.
Old 09 February 2002, 08:56 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Just a different angle on rear brakes...

Agree with everything above, but when you fit big brakes up front the main benefit (for me, at least) is on track days you know you're going to stop as there's no fade and lots of feel. I well remember my first track day at Dono on basically standard kit - after a couple of hot laps approaching the esses at 120-plus mph was a real heart-in-mouth affair. Now with APR upgrade, I look forward to taking 30 yards out of anyone in front (especially Evos ) just on the brakes at one corner.

But back to the point. With big brakes, you can stay out longer. The rear brakes are still working bloody hard, despite the weight transfer. Bearing in mind they're relatively tiny and have zero cooling, they can get even hotter than the fronts Tales of warped rears are quite common because of this. Mine are okay, but I think pre MY99 the rear discs are solid? In which case upgrading to vented rears (MY99/00) is worthwhile, as are hotter pads, of course.

Richard.

Edited to ask, are the alloy STi rear calipers a bolt-on replacement job? Do they use the same pads as UK cars? Is the piston size similar to retain the same front-rear brake balance?

Thanks.

[Edited by Hoppy - 2/9/2002 9:09:13 AM]

[Edited by Hoppy - 2/9/2002 9:14:04 AM]
Old 09 February 2002, 06:33 PM
Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Looked into this as only mod left!!! But everyone has recommended stay away as most braking is done by the front & if you put bigger brakes on the back will spoil the setup of the car under braking.........

Old 09 February 2002, 06:45 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Talking

Knowlsey

Still havn't got a revolving display

Phil