Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

which brake pads?? how much?

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2008, 06:55 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which brake pads?? how much?

hi i have a classic and have ebc discs and redstuff pads on the car when i bought it. theres shaking when i brake and i checked the pads and the rears are scotched so im going to replace all the pads anyway, discs will stay for the time being.

problem is with subarus what brake pads are recommended?? and how much do they cost for my 1999classic with front 4 pots and rears 2 pots.

i hear about Ferodo Racing, Pagid, Perf. Friction, Mintex, and many others but which are good at what?

is there some league table somewhere on the world wide web that may tell me?

i have tried ebc and black diamonds and brembos on my past cars but im probably not to going to stretch to brembos on this classic

sorry in advance for yet another brake pad question
Old 16 May 2008, 06:06 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Default Pads

Personal experience with a MY98 with 4 pots has been

Pagid Fast road Pads - good pedal feel and good wear on disc, no fade for me ever.
EBC REdstuff- harsh pad on disc but good pedal feel and stopping, some fade after 6 100+mph stops
EBC Redstuuf Ceramic - not quite as good feel as the pad seems softer, and it seems to eat disc's, some fade after 6 100+mph stops
Tarox Fast road pad (112 compound)- very good pedal feel, good stopping except from cold when more pressure required
Ferodo DS2000 - good all round pad, hard pedal feel and good wear rate on disc
Ferodo DS2500 - Very firm pedal feel and excellent response even from cold, however do suffer from pad deposits if not used hard.

Just personnal oppinion and someone will come along and trash my results as pad "x" is always better.

I have yet to try Carbon Lorraines on a car and performance friction don't seem to do their latest material for the 4 pots yet.
Old 16 May 2008, 08:14 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

ty taz

i think i may need to get a full set discs and pads because i got wobbling on the car when i brake. its not bushes because theres no knocking and its not the wheels because i have swapped front to back and its still there.....

i was thinking to revert back to black diamond discs and maybe some ds2500 pads or pagid 4-2-1 iv heard good things about both
Old 16 May 2008, 09:42 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

I'm running 281bhp in my MY99 and I'm using Black Diamond cross drilled and grooved disc and Black Diamond predator pads. They work very well on the road, a bit dirty! I shopped around and got the whole lot for less than £240 inc p+p.
Old 17 May 2008, 08:08 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skooby53
I'm running 281bhp in my MY99 and I'm using Black Diamond cross drilled and grooved disc and Black Diamond predator pads. They work very well on the road, a bit dirty! I shopped around and got the whole lot for less than £240 inc p+p.
£240???? wherre from!? lol

thats a steal...
Old 17 May 2008, 10:39 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

I bought the discs from 'www.needforspeed.co.uk' they are reduced by 15% at the moment!! and the pads from 'www.rimstyle.co.uk' that's the beauty of the Internet. I must agree, an absolute steal. Best of all it only took 30mins to fit the lot
Old 18 May 2008, 08:17 PM
turbotimmy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skooby53
I have this set up on my MY00, had it for 2 years but noticed cracks today on a couple of the drilled holes, just something you guys might want to keep your eye on
Old 29 May 2008, 07:07 PM
andy scooby
Scooby Regular

BLIMEY £41 for set of front pads for sti...........sounds a bit cheap to me????
Old 29 May 2008, 07:41 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I've got the groove Black Diamond discs along with some Pagid Blue pads.
Paid a little more than Skooby53 though

Great setup but the Blues are very agressive on the discs and wear the discs down under track use. Normal road use they're fine though and so far no sign of fade on the track.

Rears are just bog standard motor factor pads and discs - looking at the wear on them they don't provide much stopping power anyway unless you have rear passengers or a load of stuff in the boot!