Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Grooved Disc's, which way round should they be?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2008, 04:44 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grooved Disc's, which way round should they be?

Hi,

Little confused as to which way round my grooved disc's should be fitted. I have seen various car's with grooved disc's fitted either way but not sure which is the correct method, here is how I fitted mine:

Driver Side:

Thanks in advance,

Fz
Old 14 March 2008, 05:26 PM
richiewong
Twatful

https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...c-grooves.html
Old 14 March 2008, 05:30 PM
Speech
Scooby Regular

It depends mate, was there no manufacturers instructions or anything with them??

For instance - my Prodrive front discs are as you have shown but the EBC's I have on the rear have the groove curving the other way.
What's important is the central vanes in the disc - the bits between the 2 faces. These shoud be so that when the wheel rotates in a forward direction they "chuck" air out of them and don't scoop it in - ie if the vanes curve like the grooves in your pic they are on the wrong way round as this will "scoop" air in and will not allow the hot air to escape thus knackering your discs, if the vanes curve the other way they are ok as this will allow the hot air built up during braking to be released from between the disc faces.

Make sense??!!
Old 14 March 2008, 08:45 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

Shirley they'll face one way on one side of the car and the other way on the OTHER side????
Old 15 March 2008, 10:43 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Smile

As in to the left one side and to the right the other side? Or towards the front one side and towards the front the other side? Well yes and no respectively. And stop calling me Shirley.......

On a serious note as said above and in the linked thread it's the internal cooling channel curves which defines the disc fitting and the visible disc face grooves sometimes go one way, sometimes the other, It depends which way the disc maker has chosen. So ignore the grooves and fit the discs to get the internal cooling channels going the right way or air flow through the disc will be disrupted and the discs will run hotter than they should.
Old 16 March 2008, 05:22 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info guys, going to take them off and check again when I fit the braided hoses and bleed the system again.

They disc's are Black Diamond Grooved + Vented Disc's if that helps, had a quick look but couldn't tell which way the vents curve