Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

wheel size, offset and pdc

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2007, 08:54 PM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel size, offset and pdc

Hi, Im looking into replacig my wheels and tyres on my UK 1998 classic and want to make sure i get the right size, offset etc etc

What offset an what pdc do i need?

Im also going to chuck some bigger brakes at the thing in the near future so want to make sure the wheels i get fit over the callipers. if i went for 17inch wheels woudl they fit over the k sport 6 pots or other make equivalents?

Thanks for your help
Chris
Old 31 December 2007, 09:34 AM
Maccers
Scooby Regular

Bit of a long winded answer, but here is my experience:

I have a UK Turbo 2000 (W reg) and when I bought it it had 17" Prodrive Speedline wheels. Off set ET52, PCD5*100, wheel size 17*7 inches, 215/45/17's all round.

I bought exactly the same set of wheels new, off of ebay, and put yokohama advan tyres on, 215/45/17 - for track day use.

I then upgraded to StopTech front calipers and bigger discs. This is when my problems began! My wheels had a 52mm offset, but the spokes of the wheels hit the face of the caliper, so I added a 5mm hub centric spacer and fitted new wheel studs. This pushed the front wheels out enough to give a 2mm clearance between the face of the caliper and inside spokes of the wheel. Effectively I had created wheels with a total off set of 47mm. Ideally I should have bought wheels that had an offset of 47mm, this would negate the need for spacers and longer wheel studs.

The spacer (eibach) did the trick, but then the centre of the wheel did not sit on the centre of the hub correctly, seeing as the spacer pushed the wheel put by 5mm, the wheel sat 5mm away from this, putting pressure on the 5 studs, wheel bearing and god knows what else. The spacers were hub centric, so sat perfectly on the wheel hub.

Putting 5mm spacers on the front, also meant the front track was out by 10mm from the back, so i got two more eibach spacers for the back, which then meant on track days and hard road cornering the tyres rubbed the body, as the profile is 45, not 40..... Even though I had a PowerStation suspension upgrade AST and white line ARB, the tyres still rubbed when the shocks were at the firm setting.

So, so think carefully before buying your wheels. Subaru I think reccommend 55mm offset - which on their own wheels does clear most caliper upgrades (StopTech told me that wheels from an 03 WRX will clear the calipers, as the wheel design allows the room, even though the offset 55mm on paper wont work..)

Do go to the websites and print out the templates, but you may find it hard to then take the template to where you want to buy the wheels to check first that a future brake upgrade will clear. I was met with lots of hostility when I wanted to check before buying wheels if they would fit correctly.

Ideally for me, as I have the brakes already fitted is to drive somewhere scooby friendly with lots of beers and jack my car up, wheels off, new wheels on to test fitting.

You could just stick with the standard Subaru 4 pot calipers and upgrade the discs and pads - before my StopTech upgrade I used Brembo vented discs (not drilled) with Performance Friction pads, and they lasted a few track days, bit very well from cold at road speeds and had loads of meat left when I sold them on. Braided hoses all round and decent fluid will also help.

I read loads of posts on here and found that lots of people use spacers, and they are probably fine for road use, but I think things will start to wear a lots faster with the added stresses of track days and hill climbs etc.

Good luck! PM me if you need any help.

Richard.
Old 04 January 2008, 05:20 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Speedline corse 2113 in 7.5" x 17" ET48. Massive clearance as there designed for Tarmac rallying.

Bad idea to use spacers IMHO.

Old 05 January 2008, 10:49 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I can confirm that 03 WRX wheels do clear the 328mm StopTech kit as i have that the brakes on my car! lol.
But it is a lovely tight fit i can say that. I have had stick on weights in the past that were put in the wrong place on the wheels, and when the brakes were hot and had expanded, the weights skimmed the edge of the calipers! So not much room but enough.

Last edited by MaDaSS; 05 January 2008 at 10:54 PM.