Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

buying old tyres

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2002, 05:34 PM
Chris J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

As I enjoy track days, but not the tyre wear etc, I thought about buying old tyres (ie past the legal limit but still ok). Has anyone tried this? and also what do you reckon to tyre dealers being willing to sell what the get onto me?

Thinking about it, this will only work if it is dry, but then I suppose wear in the wet wouldn't be so bad.

Chris
Old 15 January 2002, 06:26 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

I rented a set of part-worn tyres from our friends at Tyres Northampton at the 2000 RSOC day at Silverstone.

The offered a good service but in reality, I was amazed how little damage I did to them on the day and as my tyres wern't new anyway, I probably wasted a little money!

Once a tyre is down to 4mm there is much less overheating than you get with new ones (est. 8mm) and thus they last alot longer than you might imagine.

Or perhaps I just drove like a granny!

If you were at an airfield with a coarse surface it would be another story though.

I did an experience day with Car magazine a good while back at the DERA facility and Bridgestone were in attendance. Just as well. Colin Goodwin was burning the outside edge of the tyres in the Merc S500 down the the canvas in little over an hour.

I did a few laps in my own car but after seeing the carnage that rough concrete could have done to my then new boots, I grannied it again!

You should be able to buy good quality partworns for peanuts. Getting them fitted is where the expense and hassle comes in. The solution must be to have a spare set of wheels!

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 16 January 2002, 01:02 PM
Chris J
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I was intending to get a spare set of wheels (cheaper the better) and fit some tyres on that I didn't care about. I have been on one airfield day at kemble, and although I didn't destroy my tyres, the fronts did take a bit of a beating.

Any ideas where I can get part worns from?

Cheers

Chris
Old 16 January 2002, 02:55 PM
sempers
Scooby Regular

Look in yellow pages - plenty of part worn dealers around west of london where I am. Mostly they come with quite a bit of tread on, but I'm sure you can solve that problem. Paid around the 20 quid (each) mark for my last set in 195-65-15 V's. (not for a scoob!)

- Mark.