Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Four pots to the rear

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2007, 12:11 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four pots to the rear

I currently have the prodrive( alcon?) four pots with the two piece discs on the front. Now im thinking of upgrading the fronts bigger calipers and discs etc how much of a PITA would moving the four pots to the rear even can it be done
Old 18 November 2007, 12:54 PM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a bit of a bgger.

Handbrake drum is part of the rear disc - so you'd have to keep those - and maybe get some brackets made up to try and make the caliper sit right. Also you may affect the brake bias... Might be better off flogging the Prodrive calipers (you'll get about £500) if the discs and pads are OK too) and buy a second hand set of 2 pot rears from a type R/Jap STI. You shoudl have lots fo change from the sale price of the Prodrive Alcons.

I'm not sure how easy the STI 2 pot rears ar eot fit though, as the Type R and STIs that they come off have a different rear axle to deal with the DCCD (and hence extra torque which you can wind on to the rear)- so think you'll need extra brackets/spacers for the calipers in any event?

Just noticed from your profile that you've got a P1 - Me too - and I looked at this briefly. I sold my Prodrive Alcon set up at the front and went for a 355mm AP 6 pot kit - which once hot is absolutely immense. AP have also released a rear kit (about htis time last year/or January I think) which will fit the P1 - but due to the need to integrate the handbrake (bit of a lame excuse I reckon!) it's the same price as their front brake kit...! but it is four pot I think.

I reckon your best bet is to upgrade the fronts and flog the Prodrive set up and see what you think - I was pretty impressed - and you'll obviously get about a third of the new kit's price from the sale proceeds.

Hope that's sort of useful!
Old 18 November 2007, 05:43 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate think your right bud ill sell then get one for specific application think k-sport do one
Old 19 November 2007, 07:31 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

AP do two four pot kits for the rear. One for newage with a 335mm disc to match the 355mm and 362mm front disc 6 pot kits and one for the classic with a slightly smaller disc to match the 6 pot fronts with 330mm discs.
Old 20 November 2007, 08:13 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the main difference between the AP kits is to do with the diff size............

smaller one to suit R160 rear and larger to suit R180 rear as the hub mounting points are different

alyn