Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Uneven tyre wear

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2007, 12:29 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Uneven tyre wear

Hi, I'm new here and have not long had a '99 Turbo 2000.

I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer!
My front tyres are wearing quite badly on the inside. My initial thought was that camber is out but having been to the tyre centre the bloke there said it might be the tyres themselves wearing uneven as they are getting low.
My first question is, is the camber checked as part of the wheel alignment or is this a seperate check?

Second question, The back tyres still have around 50% of the tread left and they are wearing evenly. Is it possible to change only the front tyres or would you recommend changing all 4?

Sorry I the questions seem stupid but as I said i've only had my Impreza for a few weeks!
Old 28 September 2007, 02:35 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by stuart n
Hi, I'm new here and have not long had a '99 Turbo 2000.

I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer!
My front tyres are wearing quite badly on the inside. My initial thought was that camber is out but having been to the tyre centre the bloke there said it might be the tyres themselves wearing uneven as they are getting low.
My first question is, is the camber checked as part of the wheel alignment or is this a seperate check?

Second question, The back tyres still have around 50% of the tread left and they are wearing evenly. Is it possible to change only the front tyres or would you recommend changing all 4?

Sorry I the questions seem stupid but as I said i've only had my Impreza for a few weeks!
You can just change the fronts only; it only becomes a problem if you change the tyres across the axle.

If it's wearing the insides, it could be 2 things, tracking with to much toe out, or to much negative camber.

You could swap the tyres over to the back to even out the wear, but ideally you need to have a full alignment check, it could have been set-up that way to reduce some of the understeer characteristics the car may have.
Old 28 September 2007, 09:55 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

Cheers for your reply, I've booked a full alignment check to see whats what
Old 05 October 2007, 05:58 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

Went to Xtreme today for a full check and there was too much toe out. All adjusted with new tyres now, can't believe the difference