Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What Brake Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2002, 09:03 AM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking of getting a brake upgrade for my RB5 and was wondering what the general opinion regarding the best brakes to get?

I know the AP 6-Pots are monsters but I've also heard that it can be difficult to get pads for them so I was thinking along the lines of 4-pots, but what make? (I've been in Harj's 22B with AP 4's and they are monsters )

So... what make, opinions on the following if poss...

AP 4's,
AP 6's,
Brembo's (are they the same as Bremsport?)
Willwoods,
K.A.D (I think?)
Porsche (there is a guy in the back of Evo who does a porsche kit apparently)

thanks,
Matt
Old 08 January 2002, 09:13 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Don't forget the Alcons from Subaru/Prodrive

...but also spend some time reading these threads
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=62215
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=55226
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=60669

Scoobymania has a good deal on the 'proper' AP 4 pots for the next week or so
Old 08 January 2002, 12:11 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Markus - that'll be a fiver you owe me then! Send a cheque to "MartinM's Petrol Fund" at .....
Old 08 January 2002, 12:19 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies chaps... I love the idea of the Movit kit and they look soooo gorgeous... now, should I be 'conventional' and go for AP's/Brembo's whatever or should I go for the porsche kit... hmmm

would it be easy enough to get disks and pads for the Movit kit? (i.e. do they use any special bits that would be hard to get?)

ta,
Matt
Old 08 January 2002, 12:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Would anyone be interested in a group buy on the Movit kit?

just curious.
Old 08 January 2002, 12:33 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Markus

thanks for calling me!

Regarding availability of parts, check out this link:
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=62215
It's even easier to get parts for the Porker stuff than for the Alcon kit. My mates change now from the Alcon kit to the Movit kit after their stuff warp on track and incidentelly a Movit equipped Scoob drove the whole day on slicks and his discs and pads looked like new at the end of the day. This is due to the superior design.
Check out the threads in the brake section of the Lancer register, it's called "The Movit Story". Additionally I was forced to write a comparison between the AP 6 pot and the Movit monobloc kit. Available under "AP group buy" on the Lancer BBS.

Sorry very busy this week

Cheers

Mike
PS: The actual stopping power won't differ much between the big brake kits as they're all able to exceed the grip of road tyres (another story when using slicks and heavy track use though)
Old 08 January 2002, 01:18 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Markus... I might be, although it won't be straight away... I am more sold on the Movit's than the AP's

M
Old 08 January 2002, 01:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

mike,
thanks for commenting, I know you like the movit stuff, and I'm now very serious about geting it.

Matt,
probably looking at begining/mid feb for getting it, as I'm off to USA until 2nd feb, plus need to get the 17 inch wheels first.

so, might get them fitted, try them out, report back, then maybe ask about group buy. have emailed Jas Traction to see what they think.
Old 08 January 2002, 05:50 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

Markus/Mattski

I too am desperately trying to make up my mind about brakes at the moment (i think its the sheer cost as much as anything else). i think the Movit kit is superb although i would have to go for the gt3 kit instead of the 996 calliper. for an extra £150 you might as well have the ultimate.
Every review you read re a modern porsche raves about the brakes. Take this example from Autocar June 2000 re the new (at the time) 996 turbo which in standard form (ie not ceramic disks)has same brakes as the GT3:
"Im not that keen on the gearchange but the brakes are good enough to make up for this on their own. i simply havent driven a car that stops as well....Never known anything like it"
That was tested back to back with a fezza 360.
Im sad enough to own a large back catalogue of car mags and its a consistent part of Porker reviews-they all love the brakes.
- The gt3 calliper is a one piece design (no heavy bolts/ less flex) and although a 4 pot the pad surface area is 78.5cm2. this is greater than the AP 6 pot.
-The porker set-up is not designed for pure track use and so i reckon it will be a friendlier set-up than a lot of the big-brake set-ups out there.

Having said all of the above i also think the aps look superb and the views ive canvassed on them have all been very very positive. The whole "my brakes are better than your brakes" discussion seems to sour quicker than a pint of milk on a hot radiator so i aint gonna go there.

It seems that there are 3 of us who want this kit (do you want the gt3 too?) that equates to £4500 in total. thats got to be good for some discount. What do you think?
matt
Old 08 January 2002, 06:38 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

Has anybody with AP's had any probs with glazing during extended normal road use?
Old 08 January 2002, 07:27 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

About ap6 pot

Matt b - not had problems with glazing, but had to mill down mounting block to fit my01 as block touched inside disc face when on full lock.
Mattski 2 - If going for ap and worried about getting pads, get extra set as soon as possible so you already have them to swop over. But Scoobysport seem to have pagid ones as a stock item.

Terry

Old 08 January 2002, 07:52 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Matt

your comment regarding "my brakes are ..." represents my own view. It's a free world so chose the product you're happiest with.

Maybe you can talk to Richard Jeal and persuade him of a promo deal. You 3 would be the first Scooby guys with Movit brakes on the Island so this might persuade hime. Give it a try.

Cheers

Mike
Old 01 August 2002, 10:38 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt,

Plantie's WR RB5 has had the Prodrive Alcon conversion done on it. I've been in it and it is unbelievable braking power
If you're coming to the PE RR day you could go out for a ride - or if not I'm sure your paths could cross at the next Bracknell meet whenever it may be

Cheers mate
Neil.

Edited to say that the Alcon doesn't affect warranty........

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 1/8/2002 10:39:29 AM]
Old 01 August 2002, 10:56 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Matt,
In the same boat as you mate, I want, nay, *need* better brakes.

i've narrowed it down to AP 4 or 6, or the movit porsche setup, which is distributed by Jas Traction in the UK, which are the chaps in the back of EVO.

to be honest I think I'll go for the porsche setup, mainly as it looks very cool! vain bugger aint I Hopefully scoobymike will take a peek at the thread as he has the movit kit on his evo and really rates it, as do other EVO owners.

Wow! my thread is the first one posted above, cool

[Edited by Markus - 1/8/2002 10:57:36 AM]
Old 01 August 2002, 12:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Matt,
This was one of my concerns, drop an email to Richard Jeal @ Jas traction, his email is jas@richard-jeal.com, mention me (the annoying subaru guy! he'll know who it is!) and have a chat about the movit kit, replacement discs and pads. I've sent him many emails about it and he's good with the replies.

basically I think he has pads in stock and should be able to get discs pretty quickly. from what I've read it would seem that unless you live on track or drive seriously hard then the discs should take a lot of abuse. but best to get a more 'official' comment from Richard on this one.

I'm 98 percent sold on the movit kit, but don't tell anyone cos I want it to be a suprise at a future sussex meet

[Edited by Markus - 1/8/2002 12:31:46 PM]