Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Squeal from Front wheel area?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 05:52 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MY99 and have noticed a metalic scraping noise coming from the front passenger side wheel. Thought it was a stone stuck between the wheel and the caliper so took wheel of to check. Found no stone, no signs of scratching at all, and can't find the scratching noise! Also checked for a stone between the disc and the metal splash guard but can't find anything. Can anybody please help!
Old 07 January 2002, 06:04 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Exclamation

How low are your pads?
Old 07 January 2002, 06:07 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Inside pad has maybe 3-4 mm but because the scratching doesn't get any better or worse when using the brakes i didn't think it was the pads. When should the pads be changed out of interest?
Old 08 January 2002, 04:46 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Can anybody shed any light on this as it's really starting to annoy me? Please?
Old 08 January 2002, 11:19 PM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

Had a similar problem the other day on the way to work. Car started to develop a loud screeching noise from what appearred to be the front wheel area. Drove on further applying the brakes to try to stop the noise which I assumed was from a sticking pad/piece of grit. Eventually stopped only to reappear later in the day then even worse on driving away from work. Got really annoyed with the thing and tried some heavier braking whilst keeping the car in motion and all of a sudden there seemed to be a momentary release of "something" and the noise disappeared. This was in the height of all the gritting and freezing weather we have just had so, I'm putting it down to something being stuck in the caliper/disk.

Whilst on the subject though when I brake under normal circumstances, I can hear a rubbing sound from the disks/pads, not metallic, pads are at about 3-4 mm, is it time to change them?
Old 09 January 2002, 12:33 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

There is an audible warning device in the scoob pads drove me nuts trying to work out what it was. like a bit of metal scraping.

get the pads checked they maybe low enought for this warning sound to start.

nothing about it in the manual though! which is nice!
Old 10 January 2002, 07:26 PM
EwanS
Scooby Regular

When the pads on a Scoob come close to 3mm there is a small steel bow that is facing the face of the disk(riveted in the middle so as to give two arms - one for each end of the pad). It is attached in a way, so that it does not scape the wear area of the disk but the unwearing inner portion of the disc diameter (look at a pad and you will know what I mean). When I got close to renewing the pads I actually bent the arm back (just to see if it was this that was scaping) - very simple EARLY warning device. you will still have approx 3000-6000 miles left on the pad (CHECK ANYWAY - the small arm is quite delicate and can be bent easily - ie during fitting) If your discs are worn the arm will contact the unwearing portion much earlier in the pads life - so a rough measure will give the correct amont to bend - if required
EwanS