Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Time for New Tyres on my06 STI???

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2007, 05:59 PM
martSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for New Tyres on my06 STI???

Hi, I have now done 8500 miles on my 06 STI and my front offside is very bold on the outside. Both fronts need changing.

So my questions are ------

DO I NEED TO CHANGE ALL 4 TYRES

WHAT TYRES SHALL I GET (BRIDGESTONES REO70 AT PRESENT)

DO I NEED THE WHEEL geometry SORTED.

many thanks

Martin
Old 28 August 2007, 07:43 PM
martSTI
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 28 August 2007, 07:53 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

Will be changing all four of mine in the next week or so as I am going to the Nurburgring on the 8th Sept. My car has done 7.5k, the fronts scrubbed the outside edge so I had the Geom setup about a month ago, made a big difference to the ride of the car and should make the tyres last a lot longer. All my tyres are still legal (2-3 mm all round) but as said I am changing them before I go to the Ring.
Best price I have found for 4 RE070's is from a local tyre shop. They want £420 all in.

Chris.
Old 28 August 2007, 09:38 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Outside edges of front tyres get scrubbed as new age scoob is so heavy it leans on the front tyres when cornering and murders the outside edges. 2 cures:

1. raise front tyre pressures to 39-40 psi, ruins ride but grip remains ok and wear is much better.
2. Fit 22mm ARB both front and rear to reduce body roll which will protect outside edges whilst improving grip and handling.

I do both.

BTW £420 all in for RE070s is a very good price, can you tell me where as a friend needs some soon.

Last edited by D1CCY; 28 August 2007 at 09:39 PM. Reason: RE070 price
Old 29 August 2007, 03:36 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Sorry not of much help in the impreza but I have tried both Michelin PS2 & Bridgestones Potenza RE720 in my 205 Gti.
The Michelins are softer and the ride is much better compared with the Bridgestones (my 205 has uprated suspension and the Bridgestones are unbearable in town).
On track the Michelins overheat more quickly being softer so not recommended for track use.
On the wet the Michelins have more grip, give you more confidence and you are more relaxed in driving. On the contrary you have to be alert all the time with the Bridgestones as the tail is more playful.
The advantage of the Bridgestones is reduced body roll as they have stiffer sidewalls.

I don't know which would suit the impreza better so someone who has tried the PS2 on an impreza please let us know. Both are good tyres.
I am happy with the RE070 my WRX has but I am afraid body roll and feel will be worse if you fit the Michelins(?) On the contrary you will gain on comfort and grip on the wet I suppose.

Scoobyweb> it might be worth re-checking your geometry, if you had it done when the fronts were bald and you are fitting new tyres now it will have all changed.
Old 29 August 2007, 04:22 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
Scoobyweb> it might be worth re-checking your geometry, if you had it done when the fronts were bald and you are fitting new tyres now it will have all changed.
Are you sure I was under the impression that the geometry is set up from readings given from the wheels and not the tyres.

D1CCY, the quote for the RE070's is from a place called AP Tyres they are on Parkgate in Rawmarsh, Rotherham.

Chris.
Old 29 August 2007, 06:40 PM
martSTI
Scooby Regular

I have booked in to have the geometry sorted on friday at Powerstation. Also had quote today for 2x RE070's 225 -45-17's £200 all in.
Old 29 August 2007, 07:19 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyWeb
Are you sure I was under the impression that the geometry is set up from readings given from the wheels and not the tyres.

D1CCY, the quote for the RE070's is from a place called AP Tyres they are on Parkgate in Rawmarsh, Rotherham.

Chris.
Even in that case the wheels will be sitting differently if the tyres have uneven wear
Old 30 August 2007, 10:06 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Chris, Thanks for that. They're not too far from me so I'll put them on my list of people to try when I need some. Shame Powerstation is the other end of the country for me.

Cheers, Diccy.