Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake fade?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2007, 03:43 PM
WRX101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fade?

Recently I bought some new Tarox G88 disks and Ferodo DS2500 pads, after letting them bed in nicely I put them to the test and got them hot , they were great, no complaints, however, a few mins later as I went to brake again it felt as though there was nothing there, each time I applied pressure on the brake pedal it came back up again and there was virtually no stopping power.
Does any one know if this is just due to them being very hot or do I need to change my brake fluid or something along those lines? Once they cooled down they were fine again. But I don't want to be worrying about loosing my brakes every time I get them properly warmed up now and again! It's not like I was riding my brakes either, just off and on whilst on a nice windy road.
I'm sure it's not the disks or pads fault at all, seems more like something els, because they should be able to take getting a little hot.
Old 23 August 2007, 04:24 PM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

if the fluid hasn't been changed in a while then I would say this is the cause , put some fresh Dot 5.1 fluid right through
Old 23 August 2007, 04:42 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

Was the pedal soft or hard when you experienced the fade?
(Assuming the pads are properly bedded in) Because a soft pedal is most likely to be old fluid.
Where as a hard pedal points to pad fade, the pads are outside their optimal temperature.
Old 23 August 2007, 05:08 PM
WRX101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Normski
Was the pedal soft or hard when you experienced the fade?
(Assuming the pads are properly bedded in) Because a soft pedal is most likely to be old fluid.
Where as a hard pedal points to pad fade, the pads are outside their optimal temperature.
The pedal was hard and didn't really want to be pushed down very far, there was just nothing there. However I don't think the brake fluid has ever been changed, to my knowledge. It would suprise me if it was the Ferodo pads because I wasn't being that hard on them, it was the first time I'd actually braked harder with them and there was long periods of straight road inbetween for them to cool down a little. Surely they must be able to take a 5 minute blast!