Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Persistent wheel balance problems

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2007, 01:39 PM
jpiddin1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Persistent wheel balance problems

I've had my 2000 MY Turbo from new. No accidents no massive pot holes hit. Over the past 4 years I've found it very sensitive to wheel imbalance. I have a set of 17" mk2 wheels which I had put new Goodyear Eagles on. Despite the wheels being true I was never able to get a good balance that lasted any time at all. Immediatley after the balance they would be much better, but not perfect and would then steadily get worse over the next days/weeks. They would also certainly be worse after the car had been sitting overnight and worse still if the car had been left for a few days.

I bought a set of winter Pirelli tyres off my mate (he also had a Scoob) mounted on the 16" wheels which I sold him when I got my 17's (if that makes sense). He said they were perfectly balanced but I've always found them a bit out despite getting a rebalance.

I have just changed the 17" Goodyears for a set of Bridgestones (RE05's off the top of my head). They were much improved over the Goodyears, but initially far from perfect. I've just had them rebalanced and now they are almost perfect but there is still a small imbalance which now can be felt through the body of the car rather than the steering.

I dont know if I've just become oversensitised or if my car for some reason has become prone to this.

The bloke in the tyre place that did the last balance said he has a Mercedes taxi driver who's always coming in with the same problem for no aparent reason.

Car has just past its MOT so presumably no major play in joints or steering (it also feels tight).

Type pressures set to 33/29 as in the book.

Anyone with any similar experiences?

Cheers,

James.
Old 17 August 2007, 05:42 PM
Barney19
Scooby Regular

I've had similar problems on my newage.
https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...re-change.html
Old 02 September 2007, 05:36 PM
AJWKYU
Scooby Regular

Hi Are you useing locking wheel nuts ??
I had this problem with OZ wheels and found it to be the Mc Guard locking nut.
Not the same weight as the four other nuts ! - Did not think this would matter as they are close to the hub (But after changing for a non locking nut perfect !)