Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear disc removal nightmare - need to replace hub!

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2007, 04:42 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear disc removal nightmare - need to replace hub!

Help!!!!

Had a complete nightmare this afternoon with my MY00 UK turbo attempting to fix handbrake mechanism / rear disc issue... end result being the offside disc is completely jammed to the hub, the internal ratchet to adjust the handbrake shoes was missing then the thread stripped on the 2 8mm holes when i tried remove the idsc this way ( yes handbrake was also off )

So now i am into removing the hub and replacing this, the handbrake mech and disc....the disc really will not budge and now the hub surround/sheild is slightly damaged.

What i need to know is it possible to remove the hub assembly completely with the disc still jammed on? It looks like a case of removing the drive shaft 32mm nut, 2 bolts for shock strut, remove the long bolt for the suspension arms + remove the bolt underneath for the trailing arm.

Can someone confirm if this is correct?
Any possible issues i need to look out for bearing in mind the car is just jacked up on one side?
Is there a particular sequence i need to do this in ( removal and putting back )?
Any other parts I need other than a replacement hub, internal handbrake mech and disc? ( was thinking of 2nd hand hub from a breaker )
Any seals for the drive shaft

Any quick replies will be greatly appreciated as i need to get this sorted in the next couple of days.

Thanks in advance
Richard
Old 29 July 2007, 04:54 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

no seals for the shaft needed and pretty much just a bolt-off job once you get the d/shaft nut off and then undo the shock and trailing arm fixings..................

seems a little extreme for the disc to be locked to the hub?? how was the car driving prior to this??
did you wind the ratchet the wrong way for the h/brake??

alyn
Old 29 July 2007, 05:17 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

thanks Alan. Mmm yes it looks like i get DIY muppet of the weekend award and mixed up the instructions for adjustment of handbrake after you replace the discs with removing the disc ( bloody twit im am - its not difficult to figure out and ive dont more complex things!).

Would you be able to just describe what parts i need as that would help me chat to a breaker tomorrow.....

So does the hub assembly ( that the suspension bolts too ) also include the bearing for the driveshaft + the assembly that the wheel bolts too ( sorry not sure of correct name ) Im just not sure if this comes as an entire unit or if i need to specify exactly what i need.

Best regards
Richard
Old 29 July 2007, 09:11 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

I had problems removing my rear discs, i had to looses off the handbreak from inside and thn beat the disc with a big rubber mallet
Old 30 July 2007, 06:36 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

ok, had a partial save now - i managed to get the disc eventually but the internal handbrake mech has had it. I managed to remove it all , secure the handbrake cable to the hub so it wont catch and get the disc/pads back on.... should be enough to get it to my garage at least i would think. I think i will leave replacing the handbrake drums ( and possibly hub as i bent the dust guard )to someone else as ive had enough of this particular incident . Only question i have now is can you get a kit that supplies all the internal parts for the handbrake mechanism? and any ideas of suppliers other than Subaru? Thanks for your help, Rich
Old 03 August 2007, 01:34 AM
Mo.k
Scooby Regular

don't think there is a handbrake mechanism kit, you need to get them separate, best thing to do is get it all from a breakers including shoes but not disc's and pads.