Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

track tyre presure on 17''

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2007, 09:26 PM
gregoryelliott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track tyre presure on 17''

wot presure should you run on the track? i run a 17'' rim with 215/45/17 s and have been told so many different things! I'm pretty brutal and dont give the car much time to settle in corners so tend to put the car into a slid alot of the time! but i'm getting coached at the min to smooth myself out! but i'm running 32psi all round and go through so many corners on tyres!
Old 22 July 2007, 09:30 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I always up it by 10psi on each corner for the dry. It will make the car more twitchy, but that will also force you to be smoother. On the plus side, your tyres may last the day. My RE070's did 3 full trackdays and 20k road miles. Another guy I know managed 4k on the road and 1/2 a trackday. Smooth is quickest
Old 24 July 2007, 01:23 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Everyone different - there is no definitive right or wrong - its personal preference

Plus you have to monitor your tyre pressures throughout the day as they will go up big time on your first run

You have to do at least 1 lap to let your tyres warm up otherwise you'll be all over the place

You should consider the advanced driving day at Snetterton,Norwich which is £399. You drive a VX220 Turbo track car and they teach you for the whole morning how to drive. Then in the afternoon you go out in your car, again with an instructor - then for the last couple of hours your by yourself but they still monitor you throughout and feedback comments - best instruction I've ever had and far better than using an instructor for say a 10 lap session for £25 where you'll learn a little but now-where near enough

On those tyres I have them 32.5 front, 31 rear on the road. I have them at 36 front and 34.5 rear on the track, but you dont need to pump them up to this on the first session as you'll find they will go up to about 40psi on the first run and so you have to let them down at the end of the first session and probably again at the end of the 2nd - depends just how hard your driving

Dont whatever you do inflate them to 10psi above normal before you go on track - they could end up near 50psi and you'll have **** all control of the car on track - jittery sure............
Old 24 July 2007, 02:50 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

greg

As Fangoria states, everyone is different. As are the cars they drive!!!! What may work on a relatively light car won't necessarily work on an Impreza

The basic rule that I apply is that if the tyres are taking the edges off excessively, go up on the pressure. On our track demos we'll be running 40+ and crucially, NOT reducing the pressure when it goes up as the tyre gets hot. The increased pressure stops the flex that's causing the heavy wear and temperature rise so everything balances itself out after a while. For some circuits this may actually be as high as 50psi depending on how long the corners are and how bad the tyre wear is.

Please remember that this won't give you the best grip or the best handling but as an Impreza is fairly friendly on a track it can be good fun and allows you to slide the car around without damaging the tyres too much.

Mike