Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New age STi disc and pad change

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2007, 08:47 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New age STi disc and pad change

Any easy instructions for fitting,front and rear, discs and pads to a 53 STi?
any help appreciated.

Lee
Old 24 July 2007, 08:44 AM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

Wheel off, pin retainers off with pliers or fingers, pins withdrawn with pliers, pads woggled like mad and pulled out, undo one of the big bolts holding the calipers on and loosen the other a turn. Swing caliper out of the way and the disc will just pull off.
New disc on, caliper back on - tightly, push pistons back into calipers with screwdriver or something similar (you may get fluid coming out of top of brake fluid reservoir), pads on. Check brake fluid level. Bed in. Stop.
Old 24 July 2007, 08:30 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mother Theresa
Wheel off, pin retainers off with pliers or fingers, pins withdrawn with pliers, pads woggled like mad and pulled out, undo one of the big bolts holding the calipers on and loosen the other a turn. Swing caliper out of the way and the disc will just pull off.
New disc on, caliper back on - tightly, push pistons back into calipers with screwdriver or something similar (you may get fluid coming out of top of brake fluid reservoir), pads on. Check brake fluid level. Bed in. Stop.
cheers . what about the back ? anything different?

Lee
Old 25 July 2007, 08:42 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Rears may need handbrake adjuster wound back through hole in back plate, never done this myself so not sure how it works. MT may be a bit optimistic saying disc will just pull off, they tend to be tight on the spigot and need driving off with jacking bolts. You need 2 x M8 bolts to go in the threaded holes in the face of the discs, have these handy before you start the job.
Old 26 July 2007, 04:13 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

I haven't had a problem getting them off so far but to be fair have changed them every year as they have been upgraded. Lots of copperslip on every surface may have had something to do with it too.
Old 27 July 2007, 08:26 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

I changed the discs on a friends 06STi recently, getting the OE discs off was nearly a fight to the death. Must admit I did my 03STi ones last year and they came off easy despite being on for 3 years. Must be the luck of the draw.