Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Pulling left - Tyre Wear

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2007, 08:00 PM
sKiBa
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling left - Tyre Wear

Need some advice, just seen a nice WRX Wagon that I want to buy, only one concern is the passenger side outside tyre wall is worn down more than the others and it pulls slightly left. I also noticed there were different tyres on the two sides of the car. Is this indicative of bad alignment or it could it be something more? Any help much appreciated.
Old 22 July 2007, 08:38 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Most likely tracking out, could be bent/damaged suspension or chassis. Has oit any obvious signs of accident damage (overspray, panel fit, body shop type debris in the engine bay or underneath) are the rims OK, check spare of accident damage.

Could this be why it is for sale???

Does it pull harder under breaking that just normal driving?

Scoobs gemerally need their tyres replaced in pairs or sets if the rolling radius is different (worn tyres has less radius then unworn), if you see what i mean or you could end up wearing the diffs.

If two different types of tyres on either side then could be a cheapskate owner (never a good thing, especially with this sort of car) or maybe part of the fall-out from a bump or such - me, from what you have said - i would walk away

likely the car will need two/four tyres if the others are worn.

Ask the ownwer about it and see what they say and if they are cadgey and get a RAC type inspection to be sure.

There are loads of scoobs out there for sale, some good, some bad, be prepared to walk away and find another one if needs be.

Last edited by The Zohan; 22 July 2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 22 July 2007, 10:45 PM
sKiBa
Scooby Newbie

Many thanks, no obvious signs and the car is hpi clear with full dealer service, to be honest I didn't really notice it, the guy pointed it out to me as he was very honest about the car.

It had a full service 4000 miles ago and an mot in the last couple of weeks, I think he was just ignorant to the tires being different manufacturers and had no idea. Apparently it only started happening recently...hmm...
Old 22 July 2007, 11:24 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't panic too much.....

Yes - ideally the guy should replace tyres in pairs and to match the others. However if he has had a puncture and wanted to save a few quid he may have just replaced one and if not too clued-up, got a differnt brand to the other wheel. This is not like ly to harm the car but is likely to effect the handling and could account for some pulling to the left.

The Impreza is very sensitive in terms of handling and tyres - it can even feel wierd if one wheel is just 1 or 2 psi under/over inflated compared to the others.

Also remember cars often pull slightly to the left because of camber on the road running off towards the kerb so make sure you test it somewhere as flat as possible.

As for the uneven tyre wear it might just need the tracking tweeking. In particular the passenger side outside tyre wall gets eaten by roundabouts. If you are linving in somewhere with a lot of roundabouts eg Milton Keynes then this kind of tyre wear is normal.

All of the above things are trivial and should not put you off the car if the rest of it looks nice.

Good Luck

....but do get yourself a matching set of 4 decent tyres - makes all the difference. The car can potentially give an amazing amount of grip through the all wheel drive -n but it is impossible if you have cheapo ice skate tyres on (or even plenty of expensive ones are no good infact!!)

Last edited by Boost II; 22 July 2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 23 July 2007, 08:38 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sKiBa
Many thanks, no obvious signs and the car is hpi clear with full dealer service, to be honest I didn't really notice it, the guy pointed it out to me as he was very honest about the car.

It had a full service 4000 miles ago and an mot in the last couple of weeks, I think he was just ignorant to the tires being different manufacturers and had no idea. Apparently it only started happening recently...hmm...
This just does not add up to me, i am suspicious by nature and usually right.

As for the guy "pointing it out" then oftern best to point problems out (if obvious, and this would become more obvious as you got used to the car) and this is a great way of gaining your trust.

"Just started happening recently" - interesting, how long have they had the car for a start and if recently then are they driving it all the time, using it as a company hack, if so could easily explain it with anyone driving it like they stole it (garages do do this, do not kid yourself) it could have taken a knock and no one owned up. Happens all the time...

OK then, to move forward, i would still walk away as it does not add up to me.

If you want this car then;
Ask the Garage to replace the tyres (with good rubber only, not cheap and nasty) and get the 4 wheel alignment (not just the tracking the full monty) done as part of the deal if you want the car. If they are not prepared to do this then this will give you an idea of just what they are like and how honest and decent they are to deal with. They wil of course complain and moan about costs but you are in the driving seat so to speak, remember there are lots ans lots of scoobs for sale and it is a buyers market, just because it is in a Garage does not mean it is `100% honest/straight. It does of course matter the the garage how much they have invested in the car already but the longer they have it dfor sale the less it is worth with depreciation so best to shift it.
Old 23 July 2007, 01:06 PM
sKiBa
Scooby Newbie

Thanks both. It's a private sale, it does worry me a little but i'm fairly confident it's just the tracking/alignment, hopefully i'm a good judge of character! I will also buy an after market warranty (if they are any good?) for some peace of mind should anything go wrong but to be honest I like the car alot and the chap seems honest enough, you never can tell buying a used car so i'll take a chance...

Is there anywhere around London that's recommended for the balancing?
Old 23 July 2007, 01:18 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks both. It's a private sale, it does worry me a little but i'm fairly confident it's just the tracking/alignment, hopefully i'm a good judge of character! I will also buy an after market warranty (if they are any good?) for some peace of mind should anything go wrong but to be honest I like the car alot and the chap seems honest enough, you never can tell buying a used car so i'll take a chance...

Cool, your money.

Balancing is not the cause of the pulliing, will be linked to vibrations at certain speeds, not pulling.

Re warranty - will not cover damage, wil not cover wear and tear either!

Aftermarket warranties are not usually worth the paper they are written on and you will be lucky to get one for a scoob turbo without a list of exclusions as long as both arms, if at all. It is in effect an insurance policy and they will do all in their power not to pay out for anything.

Why not ask the guy to get the 4wheel alignment sorted as part of the deal, if it is not a problem then he should not be bothered at all, cost around £ 70.00 or so and you get peace of mind and he gets the sale - what could anyone honest find fault with that offer?

Good luck with whatever you decide, my advice is free and unbiased, it looks a little like you have your heart set on this car and not hour head, no offence, we have all done this, me included but just go into this with both eyes open, my alignment suggestion is a simple effective way around the problem.
Old 23 July 2007, 01:53 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

As per the other comments, find somwhere that has a full 4 wheel laser alignment set up. This measures very accurately the camber/toe/castor of each wheel relative to the others. It used to be considered fairly state of the art but I think a lot of the bigger tyre centres have this kit now. I know Protyre in Enfield is meant to be good for alignments if you are near there.
Normal tracking adjustments that every garage offers just measures toe and is not so accurate.
Old 24 July 2007, 08:26 PM
sKiBa
Scooby Newbie

Thanks all.

Have found somewhere that does laser alignment so will take it there to get it checked out.

Found somewhere that does warranties but apparently it is mechanical breakdown only, i.e. if something breaks they will replace it but not when it is recommended in a service etc. Not sure if that is worthwhile or not...
Old 24 July 2007, 09:00 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Cool, good luck

Warranties, you will come up agianst 'wear and tear' if you claim so if the car has say 80k on it and therre fuel pump goes pop then it it wear and tear. You ned to be carful that you do not waste your money and RAC/professional check may be better use of you hard earned...