Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Help, Pad swap on Alcons

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2007, 06:29 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help, Pad swap on Alcons

Going to swap brake pads on my 330mm Alcons, can any one point me in the right directtion for a step by step idiot gude to changing these pads.

Thanks
Old 10 July 2007, 10:36 AM
rhys172
Scooby Regular

It's about as easy as it gets to change these...this is how I did mine:

* Jack up car, prop on stands and remove a wheel (you did say idiot's guide )

* The pads are held in with a bracket which is held in place with an allen key fitment bolt with a single nut on the rear side.

* Remove the bolt/nut and set aside along with the metal bracket.

* Use something like a screwdriver to gently push the pistons back into the calipers.

* Slide out the old pads. This might require some 'pursuasion'!

* Put some copper grease on the back of the new pads and slide them into place.

* Replace the bracket and nut/bolt.

* Refit wheel, remove axle stands and lower car to ground

* Give the pedal a bit of a pump before setting off or you'll get a nasty suprise at the first junction you reach

* Follow normal bedding in process.

Hope that helps.

Where did you get the pads from by the way? What sort are they?

Last edited by rhys172; 10 July 2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10 July 2007, 01:47 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Thanks for reply, I bought Ferodo DS2500 from Alyn at As Performance at a top price about £107 from memory. I must admit a started to have a look last night. Couple of questions if you dont mind.

When refitting does that metal bracket that falls out once the allen bolt is removed just sit on top of the pads or does it clip in some how?

Also this may sound stupid but have I undone the 13mm bolt and the metal bracket fell off, I heard a few metal items bounce of the jack. I found the spacer that the bolts sits in and some ball bearings I coundn't figure out where these come from.
Also tried using screwdriver on old pads to push pistons back in but they wouldn't move. Yes I did undo the brake reservoir cap.
Old 10 July 2007, 06:17 PM
rhys172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nigel s
Thanks for reply, I bought Ferodo DS2500 from Alyn at As Performance at a top price about £107 from memory. I must admit a started to have a look last night. Couple of questions if you dont mind.

When refitting does that metal bracket that falls out once the allen bolt is removed just sit on top of the pads or does it clip in some how?

Also this may sound stupid but have I undone the 13mm bolt and the metal bracket fell off, I heard a few metal items bounce of the jack. I found the spacer that the bolts sits in and some ball bearings I coundn't figure out where these come from.
Also tried using screwdriver on old pads to push pistons back in but they wouldn't move. Yes I did undo the brake reservoir cap.
On mine, the metal bracket just sits on the pads with the single bolt/sleeve holding it in place. I can't imagine where the ball-bearings would have come from.

Your pistons might just be a bit seized? Could have got brake dust on the exposed part of them? Mine went back in fairly smoothly.

I'll give AS Performance a try for some new pads I reckon. Just need to try and find some discs for less than £500 but I'm getting close to giving in and going to Subaru