Shudder through brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2007, 06:33 PM
olly20516v
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shudder through brake pedal

Hi There,

I've got a problem that's emerged over the last few days. Basically when breaking either gently or heavily I get a serious amount of judder through the brake pedal.

Now before you say it, i've already concidered warped disks but...
Front disks were replaced 6 months ago and the car has only done 3000 miles since
and I have removed all four wheels and spun the disks with a screwdriver just off touching them and none of them appear to be warped.
also, there are no deposits on the disks and the pads all look good.
and finally, having recent suffered a head injury i've not driven the car hard at all so unlikely to have cooked them.

So,
1. Anyone got any ideas? (apart from what's already been discussed in other threads)

2. If the front disks were warped would I get any judder through the steering?

3. I tried using the handbreak at speed and there is no judder, is this enough to rule out rear disks?

4. Is my spinning the disks with a screwdriver next to them accurate enough to detect warped disks?

I accept the fact that it might still be warped disks but as they are not cheap I don't really want to spend out to still have the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Olly
Old 20 June 2007, 07:54 PM
sti 360
Scooby Regular

that happend to my ebc pads and discs within same time period,now getting some brembos ,good ridins to the judders i hope
Old 20 June 2007, 08:58 PM
olly20516v
Scooby Newbie

Was that driving it hard though?
I find it hard to beleive i've warped disks through just normal driving in less than 3000 miles!
Old 20 June 2007, 11:08 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Have you tried giving them some stick..? ie several consecutive hard stops from around 60ish down to 10mph WITHOUT COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP..!
DC late at night is your best bet..

A lot of 'uprated' brakes need regular hard use to keep them at their best. If, as it sounds, you've maybe been unable to drive the car much recently, the above may just sort it out.

FWIW the hand brake operates on an integral drum within the disc and is a separate system. Although I don't think this has anything to do with the rear as they only do about 10% of the braking..!

Finally, if the disc's were warped they would be juddering all the time, hot or cold..!
Old 21 June 2007, 04:18 AM
olly20516v
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info. I've just got up for work so will give the consecutive hard stops a try when i'm driving in.

Also I see what your are saying about the hand brake, I was under the impression it just puled the caliper like on older cars but I guess it makes sense it doesn't work like this. Anyway it's good as it doesn't rule the rear disks out, especially as they're the ones I haven't replaced yet!

On your final note, I should have mentioned before that this is happening hot and cold. Does this mean it's definatley disks of could it still be something else?

Thanks again,

Olly
Old 21 June 2007, 03:53 PM
olly20516v
Scooby Newbie

Right, I tried the stamping hard on the brakes suggestion but it hasn't improved things at all.

I am starting to think that it must be disks, so...

does anyone know how to check whether it's front or rear disks?
Old 21 June 2007, 04:02 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

when the discs were changed was the hub surface's clean from any rust and debrie? (sp) or were the discs just put straight on. If the surfaces werent clean then they could be running out of true
Old 21 June 2007, 06:24 PM
olly20516v
Scooby Newbie

I don't know to be honest. I didn't do them myself, they were done at a garage however the fact that they ave been ok for 6mths suggests that they must have been running true.

I'll just accept it and buy some disk i think. I just wish I knew whether to try fronts or rears first!

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 21 June 2007, 07:12 PM
P1James
Scooby Regular

usually if the front discs are warped the steering shakes , and if its rears you feel it throught the pedal , I would say your rears are warped