Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

4pot from 2pot much difference?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2007, 04:01 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4pot from 2pot much difference?

loads of people change their 2pot to 4 pot brakes I know, but few seem to post the results.

I have 277discs with 2 pots on a 97 UK car, just my luck I didn't know the details when I bought

Had Green stuff pads and could have died - awful and they caught alight after a particularly hard run.

Simply changing these to Ferodo DS2500 pads made a HUGE difference.

I've also put braided hoses in.

Since changing pads to Ferrodo I've only had fade on a track, i will be on a track again 1 day, but it's a rare treat for me.

All opionons welcome.
i'm on a budget and sticking with16" wheels

Question is, how much of a difference do the 4 pots over 2 pot and slightly bigger discs give.

Is it really worth it.
Cheers
Old 20 June 2007, 04:27 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

I am doing the conversion this Sunday (weather permitting).

I am changing my MY98 WRX fron the standard 277mm discs and calipers to MY05 4 pots, 295mm discs, Goodridge hoses and EBC Red Stuff pads.

I am also replacing the standard rear discs and fitting Braided hoses and Red Stuff Pads in the rear as well.

Once fitted I will embark on a lap of the TT course to bed them in and when I get back I will post my results and opinions for you.
Old 20 June 2007, 05:05 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with 4 pots,braided hoses,Black Diamond pads, standard discs and i can now slow down when i want to instead of just hoping.
Old 21 June 2007, 09:49 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Thax for feedback
CupraDave - what pads are you running at the moment? Sounds like a fun Sunday. If you've not done it before the rears can be a pain as the handbrake shoes cut themselves a groove and a lip rusts on the inside that can make it a real pain to get the discs off - best of luck.

On a more technical front can anyone confirm that moving from 2pot to 4pot doubles the pressure applied to the disc ( and 6pot would treble it) my hydraulics are a bit rusty, but I think that's how it works.

I understand that a larger disc gives you a better moment for stopping, but how does a larger pad affect stopping power, Bigger area means less pressure, but i think thats mainly for static forces, can someone put me straight on this.

Cheers
Old 21 June 2007, 10:02 AM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ClintUK
CupraDave - what pads are you running at the moment? Sounds like a fun Sunday. If you've not done it before the rears can be a pain as the handbrake shoes cut themselves a groove and a lip rusts on the inside that can make it a real pain to get the discs off
Dont know whats fitted just now, have only had the car 5 months so this will be the first time I have dismantled the brakes since owning the car. What I do know however is that they are the worst pads in the world for brake dust.

Thanks for the warning about the rears, I have my mate coming round to lend a hand so hopefully between the two of us we should have it done without any major hicups.

best of luck.
Cheers, hopefully I wont need it though
Old 21 June 2007, 11:41 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

On a more technical front can anyone confirm that moving from 2pot to 4pot doubles the pressure applied to the disc ( and 6pot would treble it) my hydraulics are a bit rusty, but I think that's how it works.

I understand that a larger disc gives you a better moment for stopping, but how does a larger pad affect stopping power, Bigger area means less pressure, but i think thats mainly for static forces, can someone put me straight on this.

Cheers
I think the amount of pots just means that you have a more equal presure apllied to the pads and in turn the discs which gives better braking ability, thats how I understand it anyway. A larger disc will allow the heat to escape quicker thus helping to prevent brake fade. Obviously if you have bigger discs/pads and calipers etc then there will also be a greater clamping force.

BTW, I went from 2 pots to 4 pots and the difference is amazing, I went for the prodrive p1 4 pots and 330mm discs and am currently using red stuff pads (will probably change these though when needed to the ferrodo) the car is a lot faster as you can have confidence in the brakes
Old 21 June 2007, 03:22 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
BTW, I went from 2 pots to 4 pots and the difference is amazing, I went for the prodrive p1 4 pots and 330mm discs and am currently using red stuff pads (will probably change these though when needed to the ferrodo) the car is a lot faster as you can have confidence in the brakes
What if anything did you have to do to your caliper to get them to take the 330mm discs? I have heard you need to split the caliper and fit spacers to them to allow for the thicker disc, is this the case? if so who does the spacers?
Old 21 June 2007, 03:58 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

didnt have to do anything as it was a matched kit. Did require spacers but again these were supplied with it.

First few braking efforts didnt half put a smile on my face as the difference was unbelieveable.
Old 21 June 2007, 04:01 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CupraDave
What if anything did you have to do to your caliper to get them to take the 330mm discs? I have heard you need to split the caliper and fit spacers to them to allow for the thicker disc, is this the case? if so who does the spacers?
I think Godspeed do them Godspeed Motorsport Home Page
Old 21 June 2007, 04:14 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

meant to add the spacers dont split the caliper, they just allow the caliper to fit further away from the centre of the hub. As myblackwrx (best colour imo) says, think Godspeed do them
Old 21 June 2007, 09:39 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Question is, how much of a difference do the 4 pots over 2 pot and slightly bigger discs give.

Is it really worth it.
Cheers
Hi,
I've never been in another scoob so can't comment on 2 pots.

However with my car as standard c.275bhp/240lbtq I never had any problems on the road, brakes inspired confidence, braided hoses make a big difference in pedal feel (for the better)

On track they were good, and only started to fade after more than 15 minutes hard use, but still funtioned OK.

So as a road upgrade, they will be fine, and I imagine a lot better than the 2 pots

Dill
Old 21 June 2007, 11:31 PM
RAPID RABBIT
Scooby Regular

I noticed you mentioned you did have ebc green stuff.
i had a warning notice in a box of red stuff pads stating that the impreza wrx and mitsubishi evos should run a minimum of red stuff???
has anyone else noticed this, seams strange as they make them to fit!
correct me if i wrong.................
Old 22 June 2007, 07:21 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i never ever had fade with my 2 pots either for general use although i used to run redstuff ceramic pads, the cheap motorfactor pads would fade very easy

i only changed to the 4 pots as my wheel bearing collapsed and it destroyed a brake calliper so needed replaced

you do get a little extra stopping power, but of the 2 pots are working fine, it wont feel like a massive difference IMO

i think most people swap to the 4 pots when the 2 pots are seized so they feel the new brakes are a massive difference

never had the 4 pots fade on me either, although its never really pushed hard on the road, if you are getting fade on a public road, i would hazard a guess that the person driving is either nicking cars or driving like a complete knobber IMO

i got hold of a set of 4 pots with brand new discs for £100, i think a calliper rebuild kit was approx £22 and i fitted a new set of OMP pads from ebay for around £35 so it was a cheap way of fixing the car at the time....
Old 22 June 2007, 08:53 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Dear StickyMicky

I was driving with spirt not like a knobber when i got fade on public roads

Country lanes with great visibility and no speed cameras - there are some left if you know where.

I backed off when I felt it happening and the only negative thing was that I scared the b'jesus out of some walkers when I finally stopped on fire. (And it's only happened the once.)

Thnx for feedback, this is what I was after. As initial post says, simply changing to a good pad made huge difference.

I can understand going to 300mm+ disc etc will make a difference, but 277 to 295mm, I'm not sure about.

As far as I can tell having 2 pots rather than 4 means you have to push harder - so push harder! It's not like I cant get the anti lock system to kick in.

Maybe the benefit of 4pots is feel inspiring confidence rather than actual functionality ? Thats what I'm trying to find out
Old 22 June 2007, 09:11 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I only upgraded as I needed new pads and discs for the mot, 2 pot calipers were working perfectly and I thought that the brakes themselves were adequate at stopping the car (only road driving everyday driver). I admit going to a 330mm disc from 275mm would make more of a a difference than going from 275 to 295 though but they are a massive improvement over standard. Whether or not a small increase in disc size though will make a big difference I cant answer
Old 03 July 2007, 09:18 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Answering my own question.

Only just had them changed and pedal travel & required pressure is now much less for same stopping power.

Pedal also feels much firmer and it gives more confidence.

Deffinately worth doing if you have the £s

I have standard pads in at the moment and even though there is a better pedal feel and more stopping power the bite is no way near the Ferrodo D2500 pads I had on my 2 Pot set up.

4pots with good pads will be even nicer - I should have got a later car :-(
Old 03 July 2007, 04:46 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Bit late in the day for this thread but with the 2 pots and Pagid disks and Fast road pads / braided lines etc I was getting severre bake fade after just 3 laps of Oulton Park. On the section where you have the hairpin followed by 2 chicanes - the 2nd chicane I went staight on! Its not just the bigger disks that help shed the heat, the 2 pots are a very heavy lump of metal that take an age to lose the heat once over temp. The 4 pot calipers are much better in this respect, I now have the 4 pots with DBA 2 piece disks and Pagid Blues - its like night and day
Old 04 July 2007, 08:42 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jay

I'm going through investigation to find out what pads I should use for road / track too.

Ferrodo DS2500 faded after 3 laps at Rockingham on 2 pot set up, it's interesting to know how much better the 4 pot set up is, thanks.
Old 04 July 2007, 09:52 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Well the Pagid blues are the best pads I've had that meets the daily driver / track needs, better cold bite than the 2500s, less dust and similar if not better performance on track - however I'm not as hard on the brakes as some, I don't chase lap times, just corner speed

Have a chat with Alyn at A. S. Performance, I was going to go for the Pagid Blacks but Alyn perswaded me to go for the more track orientated blues - the only trade off is they can squeel a bit with certain disks IF they haven't been used in anger for a whille, I've got DBA 5000 disks and they are fine 99% of the time - when they do squeael it isn't mega loud (not like 1144's on Godspeed disks which are ear splitting) and a few emregency stops sorts it out.

HTH