Assisted breaking system failed

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2007, 01:21 PM
colin.jo.white@dial.pipex
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assisted breaking system failed

Hi
Wondering if anyone can help - sorry for non technical language too many x chromosomes apparently!!
Have a WRX which I'm really enjoying but on 3 separate occaisions when both myself and my husband (thank goodness otherwise he wouldn't have believed me!) have been driving the ABS have failed the first time the breaks have been used after starting the car (fortunately at a very quiet junction where nothing has been coming as we have drifted into the middle of the road!). After that they work fine. Have had the car into Subaru who say everything is fine with ABS pressure etc. There is also a grinding noise that can be heard when breaking sometimes but this seems to be normal having read some of the other replies. Any thoughts as I'd like to get to the bottom of this as I don't want it happening again when perhaps it does matter!
cheers
jo
Old 25 February 2007, 01:28 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

When you say the ABS failed can you explain more?

Does the brake pedal go to the floor and the car not slow down? Does the pedal pulse under your foot and the car not slow down as quickly as it should? Or something else?

Got any warning lights on the dash? The ABS light is a circle with an explanation mark in it, it should come on when you put the ignition on then go off after it's done a self test (few seconds).
Old 26 February 2007, 03:56 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Has the flexi pipe going from the inlet manifold to the metal pipe that goes to the brake servo been replaced at some point. There is a one way valve inthis pipe and if it fails or is missing then it takes a second for the vaccuum to develop after coming off the throttle. This happened to me and had to put the OE pipe back on. You can check to see if the valve is there by feeling along the pipe there should be a lump in the pipe.
Old 27 February 2007, 12:45 PM
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for thought - but haven't changed the flexi pipe as far as I know.
Old 27 February 2007, 12:50 PM
Scooby Newbie

Yes the pedal goes to the floor but the car doesn't slow down it almost feels like the engine is fighting the brakes - the 'choke' was still on and engine revving(although this can't be the case as the clutch was in all the way). The pedal doesn't pulse but the car certainly didn't stop as fast as it should. Not sure about the lights I didn't notice anything but will check the ABS light now each time I start the engine. It only happened those three times and not done it agin since.
Old 27 February 2007, 03:44 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Sounds like pad knock back. Does it start to work OK if you pump the brake pedal. ? Wheel bearings, any funny noises from wheels.
Old 28 February 2007, 12:26 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

If the pedal doesn't pulse then it's not the ABS playing up. Sounds more like a sticky throttle to me if the engine is fighting the brakes but i guess it can't be if the clutch is down. Just to be on the safe side have a run round with the WD40 spraying everything that moves while someone opens and closes the throttle.
Old 17 April 2007, 12:06 PM
nick1977
Scooby Regular

This sounds exactly like my problem, as it only seems happen if I break after coming straight off the throttle. Cna anyone give me an idiots guide on wher eto look for this pipe / valve?
It's a MY97 Jap import.

Thanks
Nick
Old 17 April 2007, 07:34 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

there should be a one-way valve in the servo pipe coming off the passenger side of the inlet manifold if this has either collapsed or is missing it may well give the symptoms you describe................

alyn