Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Track Day Wheels / Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2007, 10:10 AM
Maccers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Day Wheels / Tyres

Hi, I have finally got round to booking some track days in my UK 2000 Turbo. It is currently fitted with 17" prodrive wheels. Not sure if I want to use these wheels / tyres on the track, so looking for a set of wheels (ideally steel wheels - Weller maybe) and some sticky road legal rubber, as I still need to drive the car there, dont really want to be swapping wheels while at venue.

Anyone doing / done the same can reccommend any good combos? I was looking at 15" or 16" wheels to keep the cost of tyres down as much as possible.

RM.
Old 09 February 2007, 01:37 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be worth looking through the For Sale sections on here - there's quite often 15"/16" wheels in there.
If you've got 4 pot brakes (later classics - 97 on I think), you probably won't get 15s on.
Old 10 February 2007, 12:21 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maccers
Hi, I have finally got round to booking some track days in my UK 2000 Turbo. It is currently fitted with 17" prodrive wheels. Not sure if I want to use these wheels / tyres on the track, so looking for a set of wheels (ideally steel wheels - Weller maybe) and some sticky road legal rubber, as I still need to drive the car there, dont really want to be swapping wheels while at venue.

Anyone doing / done the same can reccommend any good combos? I was looking at 15" or 16" wheels to keep the cost of tyres down as much as possible.

RM.

OE 16" 5 Spokes can generally be picked up cheaply, often with enough tyre on to for a track-day or 2. I sometimes buy part-worns at about £20 each fitted. 16s also fit over OE 4-pots or as I have, AP4s with 304mm discs.

Why don't you want to be swapping wheels at the venue? Drive there in your nice legal tyres, then swap over to slicks or tyres that might over the course of the day, become illegal, then at the end swap back. Also allows you backup if you have a puncture or the tyre gets mullahed.

Cheap trolley jack, a cross-brace and a torque wrench with a 19mm socket on it. 4 tyre swap takes 10-15 minutes, no more - 20 mins if I want to do the front pads too. The trick is to torque the nuts to 85 ft/lb, which is the recommended torque for a classic subaru wheel-nut, as when it comes to undo, its not like you are straining to do it. Put the jack on the rear diff to do both rear wheels at once.