Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Godspeed discs...

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2007, 02:00 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Godspeed discs...

Anyone fitted Godspeed discs recently to their Scoob ?.
Only asking as bought mine in the last GB and fitted them roughly 2 months ago and they now look like they have been sitting in a breakers yard for the last 2 years as the hub area has turned into a red rusty colour, is this normal .
I seem to remember when buying these discs a long while ago ( for an rs turbo ) it was promoted about their ability to withstand this sort of condition but just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this of late.
If it's normal then ho hum and i'll break out the hammerite to make them better on the eye, currently look cack behind my rota 18" wheels .

Last edited by MTayler; 05 February 2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05 February 2007, 02:03 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you buy the std ones?

I know Ian did normal discs, but he also supplied ones that were Zinc coated to prevent corrosion.

I bought some std discs (not from Ian) and rust appeared the next day. Unless they're coated they'll rust as soon as you expose them to the elements.

Stef
Old 05 February 2007, 10:43 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Only bought what was on offer and was'nt aware of any zinc coated option, had I know would have def. gone for them .
Still not the point though, the rears are still the original subaru items and look in far better nick than the fronts so really there should not be an option, sounds like cost cutting to me .
Looks like a tin of hammerite beckons as I can't be arsed to take them off and send them back, still I know what not to get next time.
Old 06 February 2007, 07:29 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

the company that used to plate there discs closed down , so he has no one local to him that can do this now , hardly cost cutting as it only costs about 50p to plate a disc
Old 06 February 2007, 10:51 AM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Okay so it only cost 50p per disc to do therefore even if someone local charged a £1 a disc it would still look a darn sight better than the red rusty discs I've got now.
I know at the end of the day the brakes do their function of stopping the car but I still don't expect 2 month old discs to end up in their current condition.
Even std pattern part discs would probably have withstood the elements better than these.
Old 06 February 2007, 11:03 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

I'm sure if someone local to him could do them , he would have them done , the discs wont be any different to other makes, if an area of discs doesnt get swept by the pad , it will go rusty , and if you paint them it would end up coming off , the discs get too hot for the paint
Old 06 February 2007, 11:17 AM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Seeing as I only want to paint the hub area could'nt I just use caliper paint as surely they can get reasonably warm ?.
My gripe is that they just look bad behind big shiny wheels and these days attention to detail is paramount.
If I can just do something to better their appearance then we will be getting somewhere .