Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake Judder - following period of Car being parked!

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2007, 09:23 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Judder - following period of Car being parked!

My Scooby has been parked in the garage for long periods during the past 6 months there in lies my problem I think. Took the car out today and have massive brake judder from anything above 40 mph. The car hasn't actually been driven for the past 6 weeks or so.

What's the cause - brake caliper(s) seized? If so anyone got any tips on the best way to free these off.

The car is a MY02 WRX fitted with drilled & grooved disc's on the front with Ferodo DS2500 pads fitted on the front & rear, with goodridge braided hoses fitted on the front and rear with Motul 5.1 brake fluid. This set-up has only covered approx. 3000 in the past year since fitting and has not been abused in any way, i.e. no track days, a little spirited use on the road granted but carefully cooled afterwards and never overheated.

Any help gratefully received.
Old 28 January 2007, 09:33 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Rust and pad deposits on the disc have created high spots. You could try using emery cloth the clean up the surfaces, or braking extremely hard to see if this removes the deposits. Obvioulsy, extreme care needs to be taken if you have severe judder when braking hard.
Old 29 January 2007, 05:55 AM
stormsubaru
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, almost definately what andy said. I parked my car at the airport a couple years back. It was there for 2 weeks and by the ocean and there was horrendous(spelling?) brake judder when I got back. It went away after a day or two of left foot trail braking and hard breaking. It's best not to come to a complete stop when hard braking so as not to leave new deposits. same goes when setting in new pads.