Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

first signs of brake pad wear?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2006, 02:28 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first signs of brake pad wear?

what are the first usual signs of this? i've been getting a kind of rough lumpy/crunchy feel on my foot when the pedal is pushed down hard near the floor. what is this likely to be. pads discs and fluid was changed on car about 18mths ago, car done 8k miles in this time on normal road use only. car is MY99 uk, 4 pot standard pads n disc brakes.
i'm no expert as you can probably tell, so good advice will be warmly welcomed.
tar.

Last edited by apac; 23 December 2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 23 December 2006, 05:19 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apac
what are the first usual signs of this? i've been getting a kind of rough lumpy/crunchy feel on my foot when the pedal is pushed down hard near the floor. what is this likely to be. pads discs and fluid was changed on car about 18mths ago, car done 8k miles in this time on normal road use only. car is MY99 uk, 4 pot standard pads n disc brakes.
i'm no expert as you can probably tell, so good advice will be warmly welcomed.
tar.

pads usually have those metal prongs on them so that when they get really low the metal prongs squeek against the disc letting you know they need changing soon

as for the lumpy/crunchy feel
Old 23 December 2006, 07:48 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah it's weird, it's hard to explain, it feels gravelly?!?!? crunchy as if there is no more pad left and the pedal goes to the floor???
Old 24 December 2006, 07:58 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a MY99 with 4 pots and once the pads get down below about 4mm they get progressively more 'rumbly' when stopping hard from high speeds...
Old 29 December 2006, 10:21 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Marin
I have a MY99 with 4 pots and once the pads get down below about 4mm they get progressively more 'rumbly' when stopping hard from high speeds...
Hi mate,

can you elaborate on this 'rumbling', is it just noise or do you feel it through the pedal..?
Old 30 December 2006, 07:24 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Er, it's hard to describe but I guess it's a faint vibration through the pedal and just a noise inside the car - first time it happens is always accompanied by a 'b*gger, got to fork out for new DS2500's soon!'

I did look at the pads the other day when the wheels were being swopped to even out tyre wear and the pads are on about 3mm now so need to keep an eye on them.
Old 30 December 2006, 07:36 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I get the 'gravel' feeling when car is first started up in winter. Must get salt on them off the roads. After applying the brakes a few times it cleans the discs up and all is okay.

HTH.
Old 30 December 2006, 07:45 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
I get the 'gravel' feeling when car is first started up in winter. Must get salt on them off the roads. After applying the brakes a few times it cleans the discs up and all is okay.

HTH.
thats more than likely water getting on the discs and pads causing the disc to tarnish (probablay wrong choice of word.) Just like you get after washing the car and leaving it stand for a while before driving.
Old 02 January 2007, 07:55 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by pippyrips
thats more than likely water getting on the discs and pads causing the disc to tarnish (probablay wrong choice of word.) Just like you get after washing the car and leaving it stand for a while before driving.
yep, it's very light (orange) surface rust that gets rubbed away within a few seconds of braking. You'll get it after washing the car or when it's stood in heavy rain..

The 'rumble' noise I get when applying (longish) moderate braking from high speed, usually not instantly noticeable, ~ 2 seconds in then builds in intensity until you back off the pedal if IYSWIM..?