Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Refurbing my track day wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2006, 08:27 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Refurbing my track day wheels?

My track wheels are looking a little distressed. The laquer has chipped and obviously water has got to the alloy and made it powdery and bubbled the surrounding areas of damage.

I don't want to spend £40-50 a wheel to get it professionally done as they are only track wheels but I wouldn't mind having a go at them myself.

Any tips?

F
Old 28 November 2006, 12:46 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Floyd....... as long as there are no major areas of damage like kerbing etc that would need attention you can get your wheels redone for much less than £40-£50 a go...... my local powder coaters do a strip coat and laqure for £80 all in...... just had another set done in gunmetal ...obviously if there is some tyding up to do before coating that would bump the price up towards the higher figure

martin
Old 28 November 2006, 06:32 PM
VICTORVONDOOM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you have to do rub them down, use metal filler if necessary, rub down,spray primer, rub down, spray colour and them finish off with laquer. To be honest it's the same procedure as any car panel. The most time consuming thing is masking the tyre from the alloy. If you take your time, you'll get a very good finish. I did this to my Khan alloys two years ago and they've still not bubbled through!
Old 28 November 2006, 06:59 PM
scooberuni
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've just resprayed mine. No special technique involved, I just bought some metallic spray from motorworld, took off the wheels, cleaned and dried them.Then I tried to mask off the tyres as best I could and then gave them a couple of coats of paint and hey presto!

Before:-

After:-
Old 28 November 2006, 08:52 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of good advice there, thanks chaps. I've also been told to heat the wheel with a hair dryer before the laquer coat to get a good finish. I guess thats important in this colder weather.

F