Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2006, 05:12 PM
Gixer600
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fade

Hi

Was after a bit of advice

Wr1 with EBC red stuff pads. Not sure if it is my car but i have just had these pads fitted after reading lots of info on here about some people using them.
Now i have to say it does not feel like these are capable of stopping me. Over a short distance no issue. Over a long distance ummm well we have had a few near misses. Maybe i am spoilt maybe the R32 brakes were better than i gave them credit for but the R32 brakes certainly felt a lot sharper and did not seem to suffer from brake fade which is a guess what i am suffering.
Anyone else have experience of this set up.

Any advice?
Old 27 November 2006, 07:00 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

£30k worth of car (well it was once) and you fit the cheapest "fast road" brake pads you can find to save £50. To be honest I think you have your priorities a bit wrong!! Good car though.

How much searching on here did you do? For every person you'll find who rates EBC and their Red stuff I think you'll find 5 people (like me for one) who don't.

If you want the best try Pagid RS4-2-1. If you don't want to spend that much then Ferodo DS2500 seem as popular.
Old 27 November 2006, 10:03 PM
Gixer600
Scooby Newbie

the only thing worth sayin to that is I AM SAT HERE PISSIN MYSELF AT UR RESPONSE

U only think i fitted those pads to save 50 Squid. Mate u are a comedian

I am new to subaru never owned one before. Just like you would have been at some point in ur life. I guess when u were new people were kind enough to offer constructive advice not cheap unfounded remarks.

Havin never had to think about after market pads on the R32. Happened to stop u on a five pence this is unknown territory.

Please remeber there are newbies out there who dont have the knowledge or the experience or trial and error that you have

Anyway thanks for the advice about the pads u recommend. Shame not everyone mentioned those when i was researchin.
Old 28 November 2006, 06:01 AM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gixer600
the only thing worth sayin to that is I AM SAT HERE PISSIN MYSELF AT UR RESPONSE

U only think i fitted those pads to save 50 Squid. Mate u are a comedian

I am new to subaru never owned one before. Just like you would have been at some point in ur life. I guess when u were new people were kind enough to offer constructive advice not cheap unfounded remarks.

Havin never had to think about after market pads on the R32. Happened to stop u on a five pence this is unknown territory.

Please remeber there are newbies out there who dont have the knowledge or the experience or trial and error that you have

Anyway thanks for the advice about the pads u recommend. Shame not everyone mentioned those when i was researchin.
Well said.
Old 28 November 2006, 08:04 AM
charlesk
Scooby Regular

Just a couple of facts:

EBC Reds are not the best pad for the Impreza (nowhere near as bad as the Greens though...)
The stock brembos are not the "sharpest" brake system out there, but they do the job as long as you get used to them and trust them.

Brake fade shouldn't be as issue on the road. Provided the calipers work as they should (no sticky pistons etc), and your disks are in a good nick, fit a decent set of pads (preferably front & rear), flush & bleed the system out using a good DOT5.1 and you brakes will be trasformed.

Ferodo's DS2500 is far supperior than stock cold&hot. Highly recommended.
Pagid's 4-2-1 is another very good pad.
Old 28 November 2006, 09:37 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Subaru's are not over servo'd like other cars so a bit more effort on the stoppers as needed.

Agree with Pagid RS4.2-1 black/RS4.2 Blue or Ferodo DS2500's with Goodridge lines

The next time ring this fella for great advice.
Old 28 November 2006, 10:21 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

EBC in subarus are crap!!!!!!! subtle huh lol

after seeing a mate go flying past underbraking, when his failed due to over heating, i will never ever use EBC brake components.

ferodo all the way, although mintex get good reports as well

Trending Topics

Old 28 November 2006, 10:51 AM
Group N
Scooby Regular

Mintex 1144 pads

Brake fade also comes about from the gas emitted by the pad, building up between the pad and the disc during braking effectively lifting the pad away from the disc - a proper set of grooved discs will help (drilled ones can crack around the hole)

If you are a heavy on the brakes then do it properly and get a set of AP 6 pots with grooved discs and Mintex or Ferrodo pads - fit with braided hoses to give a better pedal feel and use a decent brake fluid (710 is racing spec or I used Mintec C spec)

just my thoughts and experiences

Cheers
Rob
Old 28 November 2006, 10:51 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

And Pagid. Expensive, but I have yet to find anything better!
Old 28 November 2006, 11:34 AM
MatteeGee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
EBC in subarus are crap!!!!!!! subtle huh lol

I think that is a bit strong as a statement on its own.

I've just fitted Red Stuff Ceramics all round but more importantly, I've also replaced the front discs with grooved Balck Diamonds.

Now this combo works very well. In fact I'm very surprised at how good they are. Even the guy at Scoobybits in Rotherham who fitted them was impressed considering it's a relatively cheap upgrade. This is on a MY99 UK Turbo. The initial bite is great (cold or hot) and I'm yet to experience any brake fade. As mentioned before, Scooby brakes have to be leaned on more than your VWs/Audis/Vauxhalls/etc but they will still stop you. The servos just aren't quite as keen.

I wouldn't dismiss the new (ish) EBC compounds quite so quick. Don't forget there's two surfaces involved in braking so getting the right combination is quite important.

Disclaimer: I am not a salesman!

Cheers

Matt
Old 28 November 2006, 11:40 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by MatteeGee
I think that is a bit strong as a statement on its own.

Matt
maybe so but tbh after seeing someone come flying past tis what i think , did say it wasn't subtle lol

but hey mate, each to there own
Old 28 November 2006, 09:25 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> I am new to subaru never owned one before. Just like you would have been
> at some point in ur life. I guess when u were new people were kind enough
> to offer constructive advice not cheap unfounded remarks.

Fair enough. Apologies for the dig. But you'd be surprised at the number of people who come on here and ask what's the cheapest pad I can get for this? I guess I just associate EBC with this attitude and leapt to conclusions.

Did I mention you should try Pagids?
Old 28 November 2006, 11:47 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

EBC reds are utter rubbish. Completely destroyed a set on 1 track day, that was a classic turbo with standard Subaru 4 pots.

My new age JDM STi with the normal Brembo's use Mintex 1155's up front and 1144's rear. Loads of track days and never any fade. Shop about and you can get them for £80-£100 for the fronts.

Also recently bought a WRX ra fitted with 6 pot AP's, these have DS2500 and I wouldn't say they were any better or worse than the Mintex on track, but I do think they lack feel when not up to temperature. So will probably replace these when Mintex 1155's also when the time comes.