New discs and pads question?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2006, 12:27 PM
MatteeGee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New discs and pads question?

Ladies and Gents,

I need to replace my front discs (my1999 UK Turbo) after another set have warped on me! This is the 3rd set in a year due to warping so it's getting quite frustrating now.

It sounds like the reason is that the replacement discs I get from my local garage are pretty crap. That mixed with the fact that I now and again give them a bit of hammer seems to be causing them to warp. And, to be honest, they don't do a very good job of braking anyway! After a stint over the snake pass I'm literally left with no brakes until they cool down.

I've decided to go for an aftermarket setup ideally suited to fast road driving and my pads need replacing anyway.

So, enough of the background.

My question is which make/models of brakes will be best suited and where can I get them as cheap as possible?

Please bear in mind that I'm not prepared to pay the earth for them but then I don't want some amazing 50 pot/500mm Brembo setup either. Just a want something that's a bit better than the standard setup.

Thanks in advance

Matt
Old 10 November 2006, 05:37 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I used to run Red dot 6 grooved discs (around £200) and Black diamond preditor pads (£45), ths seemed to work really well, the discs lasted over 40k and the pads used to last about 15-20K
Old 13 November 2006, 11:47 AM
MatteeGee
Scooby Regular

Nice one, cheers Dannyboy.

Any idea where I might get hold of a set?

Also, is there any issues with running OEM at the back and uprated at the front? Or should I change front and back?
Old 13 November 2006, 07:53 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

You can get both either from demon tweeks or direct from manufacturers.

I had no problems with running standard oem on the rear, changed the pads to black diamond when they needed changing but ran them like that for quite a while.

I'm now running STI brembos up front and godspeed rears with uprated pads and find the braking is spot on. you'll be surprised that it only cost me £115 to switch to a brand new set of brembos, with new discs and pads!!!
Old 13 November 2006, 09:24 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I am running standard discs with Pagid pads. These pads are absolutely stunning! Loads of bite from cold and no fade.
As for your discs warping, do you ever rest your foot on the brake pedal after using them heavily? Or clean the car with a jet wash?
Old 14 November 2006, 12:07 AM
EVO172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
You can get both either from demon tweeks or direct from manufacturers.

I had no problems with running standard oem on the rear, changed the pads to black diamond when they needed changing but ran them like that for quite a while.

I'm now running STI brembos up front and godspeed rears with uprated pads and find the braking is spot on. you'll be surprised that it only cost me £115 to switch to a brand new set of brembos, with new discs and pads!!!

could you tell me where you got the brembos kit for that price? and will it fit a 93 wrx ? or did you get them from demon tweaks?
Old 14 November 2006, 12:10 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Long but interesting read here:

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

Buck

Trending Topics

Old 14 November 2006, 09:47 AM
MatteeGee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
As for your discs warping, do you ever rest your foot on the brake pedal after using them heavily? Or clean the car with a jet wash?
No. I don't do any of the things that is meant to cause 'warping'. I really do think that it's just a case of crap discs/pads which don't suit my style of driving.
Old 14 November 2006, 09:52 AM
MatteeGee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
Long but interesting read here:

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

Buck

That's an interesting read. Much of it I've heard before. But whether the discs are actually warped or it's due to deposits on the disc, the fact still remains that they're fooked! These discs are that cheap that it's less expensive to replace them than get them skimmed if going like for like.

However, I've found a decent deal from NeedForSpeed.com which I think is gonna suit me and my driving style.

I've gone for Black Diamond grooved discs up front and the new(ish) EBC Red Ceramic pads all round. Apparently this combo goes well together. I'll let you know once I've bedded them in.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Matt
Old 14 November 2006, 03:53 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Read the bit on StopTech about bedding in your brakes
That was fun for me I must say! LOL.
Old 14 November 2006, 04:13 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Quote DannyBoy

DannyBoy007 is online now Report Bad Post
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

I would love to replace my front calipers for Brembo's at that price, how did you do it DannyBoy? do you have a contact in the trade as it were?
Old 14 November 2006, 10:54 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MatteeGee

Try giving Alyn a call at AS Performance. You'll find he really knows his stuff and will only offer you a product that suits your needs. Prices and service are spot on, too. Do a search - loads of recommendations from scoobynet users.
Old 15 November 2006, 09:11 PM
MatteeGee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SlowBoy
MatteeGee

Try giving Alyn a call at AS Performance. You'll find he really knows his stuff and will only offer you a product that suits your needs. Prices and service are spot on, too. Do a search - loads of recommendations from scoobynet users.
Thanks Slowboy but too late now. Already got my order in with NeedForSpeed. I was in a bit of a rush to get them delivered cos I wanted to get the car in the garage tomorrow. All in vein in the end cos I found out yesterday that my usual garage has closed down... ****!!!

Any of you boys from S.Yorks? I need a new place to take my car so I could do with a recommendation.

I'll start another thread on that though.

Matt