In Need Of Better Stoppers ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2006, 09:45 AM
wrx davs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Need Of Better Stoppers ?

Morning All

Currently running a modified MY93 Classic Wrx and want some recommendations on Brake kits preferable ones I can fit myself, and something thats not mega bucks BTW i'm fairly competant around cars ?

Cheers
Old 06 November 2006, 10:23 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

The usual upgrade what most do from pre96 models are the standard 4 pots calipers, disk & pads. The going rate for these are £300-£350 depending on condition etc.
The next stage are the brembo brakes, not sure how these compare to the standard 4 pots but I am sure someone else could post up the info. These are around £500.

With both in mind you will need to check your wheel size & design to make sure your caliper clears the alloys etc.

The next step from that would be aftermarket set up ie AP's etc but then the cost is a lot higher.
It all depends on what your intention are with your car.

Ticky
Old 06 November 2006, 05:23 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're on 16's you can run late classic 4 pots. Mine had them fitted by the previous owner and they're OK. Put it this way, I definitely wouldn't want any less braking power.

If you're getting a pair, just make sure you get a good pair as I ended up taking mine off and totally rebuilding them to get them working right. Not a fun job really, and would have been easier if they'd been in A1 condition to start off with.
Old 06 November 2006, 07:37 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

If you get a good discs and pad combination with the 4 pots they will do pretty well. The Brembos are better again this is what I have on mine, bigger discs and calipers, saying that the pistions appear to be about the same size (from memory) but the bigger discs makes so much better

You have to take in to account wheels if going to brembo's, as they stick out more and foul the spokes.

You'll be surprised at what you can find on ebay, It only cost me £110 to change from 4 pots to a brand new set of brembo's with new pads and disc's!!!!
Old 06 November 2006, 09:14 PM
wrx davs
Scooby Regular

ah cheers very much guys the car will be running 17" OZ superleggeras and to be honest £500 isn't an unresonable cost..... something I'll look at.

Cheers