Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Need advice on wheels and winter tyres

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2006, 09:06 PM
Dave7
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on wheels and winter tyres

I want to swap out my standard gold alloys on my STI8 for a new set of alloys. I can only describe the colour I'm after as Gunmetal which look black from a distance but up close are not quite black. I'm also wondering what size I can put on without any modification or scraping on full lock as someone told me that a scoob can take 18" but Subaru fit 17" to fit in with EU regs.

At the same time I'm also wanting to buy a set of winter tyres to put on my Gold alloys.

With the above said these are my queries:

1. Does anyone know alloys like the ones I'm describing and where I could get them (website)?
2. What size alloys can I put on without any modification or scraping on full lock?
3. Can anyone recommend a make/model of winter tyre and where best to get them?

Thanks in advance
Old 25 October 2006, 11:45 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

Your car will take 18" and even 19" wheels without problems as long as you get the tire size correct (circumference). As for wintertires I´ve used Michelin and were very happy. Looking for new wintertires myself and am not afraid to try something new. Almost all wintertires will do better in winterconditions than any summertire.

Take it from a viking :-)
Old 26 October 2006, 09:16 AM
JohnS

I've usedMichelin Pilot Alpin winter tyres on my STi last year. They were nothing short of astounding in the snow and ice, and better than "performance" tyres when the roads were cold, wet and slippery. Even after 4 months use, there wasn't much waer on the tyres, so I'd expect a set to last at least 3 - 4 years.

Wheels - lots of options available. Your Subaru dealer has some very nice Pff7 wheels in a dark anthracite colour which are an 18 inch wheel. You have to be careful with the new age STi, as not every 17 or 18 inch wheel will clear the Brembo brake calipers.

John
Old 27 October 2006, 04:46 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I have Michelin DR-ICE winter tyres, only available in Japan, but I reckon they must be very simular to the Alpin Pilot II. Excellent grip, you have to try hard to break traction in fresh snow
A friend has reported good things about Pirelli, but they do a selection of tyres and I don't know which he had.
Old 27 October 2006, 08:30 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Vredestein Wintrac have a good reputation from where i am in Germany, they are made in Austria/Bavaria where they know a bit about drivin on snow/****ty conditions etc and stuff, i will be gettin some of these this year i think?

Last edited by scoobysmiff; 27 October 2006 at 08:38 PM.