Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Trackday Tyre Wear

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2006, 10:39 AM
rustybin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackday Tyre Wear

I had a bit of a hoon at Abingdon Airfield t'other day in my 99 wagon. It is running leda B suspension wth an extra degree of camber at the front and Toyo T1-R's (205/45 R17). I started the day on 35psi at the front which not surprisingly got very hot and up to 40psi so I dropped the pressures back to 35psi. I got a fair bit of wear generally but was surprised how much the outer walls wore. There are scratches down to the top of the makers logo . I suspect I may not have got enough heat back into them before I got up to speed after dropping the pressures. Any other theories or suggestions.
Old 25 September 2006, 10:51 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toyo's are reknowned for soft sidewalls so that is probably the cause of the tyres rolling and scrubbing the outside edges.

I have done three track days, 13 laps of the ring and 12500 miles on my Bridgestone RE070's and there is still 3-4mm of tread there. (and I wasnt hanging around either )
Old 27 September 2006, 08:50 AM
rustybin
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dynamix.

I am in the middle of buying a spare set of rims for trackdays so my intention is to swap the front and rear Toyos to give myself one more trackday and then get myself some rubber just for trackdays. I would like to go for a Colway moulded slick type option but nobody seems to do them for 17" rims. Any other ideas or do you reckon the Bridgestone would be the best bet?
Old 27 September 2006, 09:14 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

i just love the brisgestones - the stiff sidewalls give a crisp turn in and no roll under so the tyre surface stays flat to the road and grips well. As a result they dont srub or scuff as much as the toyos and last longer.

a little hairy on the roads in wet/cold days though if pressing on as they like to be warm
Old 28 September 2006, 07:25 AM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

The Toyo R888's are awesome on the track....
Very hard to get them to break loose, they seem to have endless amounts of grip, which allows you to brake hard and late and corner hard.
i did find them going off after 20minutes on the GP circuit at brands, but then that was a lot of action for a road legal slick.
Iv'e also used these in heavy rain on the track. They're still great, till you hit standing water, then it's like ice.... but if you show some good throtle & break control, you'll still be putting in some impressive times.

They should be run at 40PSi when hot, so don't be afraid about higher pressures when on the track, this will help your side wall issues.
Old 28 September 2006, 08:17 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

good point there about tyre pressures - I always put mine up for track use
Old 28 September 2006, 09:07 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

As has been said already run them at high pressures, each tyre will vary so it's worth expermenting with. I run upto 48psi (when hot) on some road tyres.

Rustybin, drop us an email I may have something for you tyre wise
Old 29 September 2006, 11:20 AM
rustybin
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice chaps. Definitely need to play with pressures by the sounds of things and see how much life I can get out of the toyos once they are swapped front to back.

I have just about finished the brake pad change, sports-cat install, brake bleed/flush and service following the last trackday and the new wheels should be with me within the week so time to book another trackday and experiment me thinks.

Mocom YHM
Old 29 September 2006, 11:30 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

rusty - if you are interested we are organising a track day at cadwell at end of october. pm if you are interested
Old 29 September 2006, 11:46 AM
rustybin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
rusty - if you are interested we are organising a track day at cadwell at end of october. pm if you are interested
Bit of a trek for me (four hours according to the RAC!). Shame, looks a cracking circuit. Thanks though.
Old 29 September 2006, 01:31 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run Toyo 888's all this year on track and they have been used for 4 events. They still have a good 4-5mm tread left and have worn very well..... I also run 2deg's camber!

I really dont understand people saying they should run these tyres at such high pressures when hot on track. I was told to have them as close to 30psi when hot. Considering the companies that told me are currently in the top runners for Time Attack, I suspect their advice is pretty much substantiated. lol

Personally I am not interested in my sidewalls wearing earlier than normal.... I just want the best grip I can get. If the tyres get mullered...... then I'll just buy new ones. Saying all this though, these tyres have held up extremely well (done over 60 laps at Silverstone, TOTB, 50+ laps of Snetterton and still going strong).

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 29 September 2006, 01:47 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
I have run Toyo 888's all this year on track and they have been used for 4 events. They still have a good 4-5mm tread left and have worn very well..... I also run 2deg's camber!

I really dont understand people saying they should run these tyres at such high pressures when hot on track. I was told to have them as close to 30psi when hot. Considering the companies that told me are currently in the top runners for Time Attack, I suspect their advice is pretty much substantiated. lol

Personally I am not interested in my sidewalls wearing earlier than normal.... I just want the best grip I can get. If the tyres get mullered...... then I'll just buy new ones. Saying all this though, these tyres have held up extremely well (done over 60 laps at Silverstone, TOTB, 50+ laps of Snetterton and still going strong).

Regards,
Shaun.

Shaun,

Thats interesting, as i was advised by the Toyo technical representative Alan Meaker to run at 40PSi when hot on the R888's.

Mike
Old 29 September 2006, 02:03 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

Others run theirs at higher pressures than me, but like I say..... running at 30psi hot the grip has been unreal and they have worn so well.

Regards,
Shaun.