Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Toyo T1-R and T1-S in the wet? Pish!

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2006, 12:29 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo T1-R and T1-S in the wet? Pish!

Right folks, i am after your thoughts on this:-
I had T1-R's all round on my WRX, and in the wet i never really thought they were sort of 'awe inspring' really.
Due to a puncture on one front tyre, and the fact i changed both, i now have the S on the front, and the R's on the back.
Now in the dry i thought my front end felt better tbh.
Anyway, in the wet i just aint happy at all.
Since the tyre change i have had my car in API for various bits to steering and suspension, and it was alligned again.
I still aint happy with the wet cornering performance.
I dont expect to be able to drive as i would in the dry, but i just seem to drift at times i would no way expect to.
I tested this on a familiar near 90 degree left hand corner, which i hit in 3rd at a constant 30 mph i think it was, defintely no more than that. Anyway, the car just felt like the whole lot was sliding away., and indeed it was sliding.
Bloody weird.
Now this has felt like this all the time, and not just since the latest allignment.
Are these tyres like this? Or is my car (or more likely me) just so ****?????
Thanks.
Old 17 September 2006, 12:35 PM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

Thats strange ive the T1-R all round and there nearly the same in the wet as they are in the dry for me. Great tyre IMO.
Old 17 September 2006, 05:31 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Hmm, this is what concerns me. My car over the years has had many allignments done due to work i have had done on it. So i am not blaming my current setup i dont think.
I have just been out now and in the dry it feels superb.
But what could make it change so much in the wet?
Just fyi, my tyres have only done 6.5k miles on the front, and will have around 4 mm on the back, backs were measured a few miles ago, but were over 4 mm then.
So based on that, i dont see how it could be tyres.
hmmm, i am confused.............
Old 17 September 2006, 11:40 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have T1-R's all round and they are superb in the wet and dry. It could be that there was maybe a spillage of diesel on that particular corner....that stuff is slippy! I've had all 4 wheels spinning in a straight line with little throttle on a diesel spillage before...a small amount goes a long way in the wet.
Old 18 September 2006, 09:43 AM
rustybin
Scooby Regular

I did a track day on Friday in the rain and running T1-R's. I was very impressed with their performance. I have noticed that straight out of the box thy are less impressive than one would expect. They seem to need to get fairly properly hot and coled don once before they are at their best.

It dried up in the afternoon so if you are after some slick T1-R's...
Old 18 September 2006, 10:09 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

So something else may be amiss then. Its either me or the cars tracking then.
As i have to say i aint got no confidence in the wet. And with winter just around the corner i am in for a fun time then!
Old 18 September 2006, 10:31 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Richard, you are on our standard fast road tracking and camber settings. Never had anyone remark about a noticeable difference in the wet compared to the dry before.

I use this setting and on Toyo Proxes 888's it is a very strong in the wet until you get to a standing deep water puddle, then hang on tight they don't like that at all.

We can recheck the track settings if you want to call in sometime, in case something has moved or settled. Unusual, but possible of course.

No charge.

David APi
Old 18 September 2006, 10:34 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

David, thanks for that offer
I dont believe it is the tracking. Not as i am an expert, but i have had different tracking done many times, and i must say the car feels the same under all of them. BUT i have only had the T1-R and T1-S tyres.
I thought the factory RE 040 (is that right on an 03?) were so ****e it is unreal.
So, judging by comments on here, there must be some major driver error coming into this.
I always said i would never do a track day, but i may need to in order to test and sort myself out! LOL.
Old 18 September 2006, 10:40 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
David, thanks for that offer
I dont believe it is the tracking. Not as i am an expert, but i have had different tracking done many times, and i must say the car feels the same under all of them. BUT i have only had the T1-R and T1-S tyres.
I thought the factory RE 040 (is that right on an 03?) were so ****e it is unreal.
So, judging by comments on here, there must be some major driver error coming into this.
I always said i would never do a track day, but i may need to in order to test and sort myself out! LOL.
RE 070 is what you mean - they are a bit iffy when cold, but get them hot and they'll do the job.......

If you do a track day remember to stay on the black bit, The green bits at the side need a different type of tyre...............................

David
Old 18 September 2006, 11:01 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

You're not alone MaDass

I think the T1-s are very poor in the wet or damp from cold. Almost as bad as Pirelli Pzeros. Never tried the T1-R's.

Avon ZZ3's are much better in this respect IMO

What tyre pressures are you running?
Old 18 September 2006, 11:18 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
RE 070 is what you mean - they are a bit iffy when cold, but get them hot and they'll do the job.......

If you do a track day remember to stay on the black bit, The green bits at the side need a different type of tyre...............................

David
LOL. Yeah that green stuff will be lethal! But now you have put the suggestion in my head............................
As for the original tyres, my car is an 03 David, and so came with RE 050 or RE 040 or something like that. I thought the 070 was on the newer cars? Anyway, i could not drive with those either! Hahaha.
Old 18 September 2006, 11:19 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
You're not alone MaDass

I think the T1-s are very poor in the wet or damp from cold. Almost as bad as Pirelli Pzeros. Never tried the T1-R's.

Avon ZZ3's are much better in this respect IMO

What tyre pressures are you running?
I am running 34 psi in front, and 32 psi in back.
Old 18 September 2006, 11:26 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I was running the same, try knocking a few psi off and try that corner again