Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Adjusting / fitting handbrake shoes - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2006, 07:15 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adjusting / fitting handbrake shoes - HELP!

Calling all handbrake experts! After 3 days of removing old rusted on parts and seized bolts to fit new dampers, springs, discs, pads and shoes at the rear of my WRX wagon, I'm having trouble getting the handbrake mechanism spot on. Or even near spot on.

I just cannot get the adjuster cog working properly and I simply do not want to take the whole lot off again just to give the adjuster a few turns. The theory was fine - back the adjuster off enough to get the discs on, tighten adjuster up with the cog until it can't go any more, then back it off a little (same amount each side).

Seemed simple enough. But I've tried turning both cogs one way and then the other so much I've no idea what's what any more. Half the time I'm not even sure if it's turning seeing as the gap has been designed to be impossible for human hands and tools to access in any normal way. At first the handbrake lever was going really high to get the shoes to bite. I adjusted the screw thread on the lever to try and tighten it up which made a little difference.

A quick test reveals that the handbrake is still pretty weak in operation and just like before, pulling the handbrake whilst driving does virtually nothing. Unlike in my wife's Yaris where the slightest touch locks the rears.

All advice, tips and tricks welcome.
Old 31 August 2006, 09:42 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 31 August 2006, 12:21 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tinkered with mine on tuesday as mine wouldn't hold on a hill/steep drive. jacked the car, slid underneath and then used a torched to see into the whole, I found a slightly bent flat headed screw driver the best to adjust, flicking up tightens. I found undoing was a complete bitch, I used the whole on old hacksaw blade to hook over and then pull back.

Last edited by DannyBoy007; 31 August 2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 31 August 2006, 01:05 PM
scoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, same for me. But I was getting it holding to well and the wheels were getting hot. I have backed it off and it seems o.k, but my handbrake is coming up very high also. I will probably get a dealer to check it when I have a chance.

Totally agree with you about the silly little hole.

Hope you get it sorted.

James

p.s I bent my abs sensor when removing the disc as the sod did not want to come off. One brake shoe got caught on the sensor and bent it.
Old 31 August 2006, 09:32 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies. I think I've finally got it sorted although my n/s leading shoe seems all crooked and won't sit flat for some reason. It was only after dismantling the whole lot and looking it up on my PDF workshop manual again that I realised that the two shoe return springs are different lengths - one yellow and one blue!

In the end I resorted to rebuilding the whole lot again and adjusting the wheel a couple of notches at a time until I reached a point where the disc would just slip on nicely, then I backed it off 3 or 4 clicks and left it at that. I was even having trouble before getting the rubber bung in and out so I used some red rubber grease on that and installed it before putting the disc back on! What an **** of a job. And I still can't get the rear wheels to lock up with the handbrake whilst moving! Is it just me or is this a feature of Subarus?