Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Any thing other than Toyo Proxes

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2006, 08:36 AM
JonnyStell@
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thing other than Toyo Proxes

The front tyres on my 2001 bugeye need replacing, Ive always gone for Toyo Proxes T1-Ss apart from on the rears which I replaced last year with the T1-Rs.

Any other suggestions for a quality tyre that might out perform the Toyos. Im reluctant to switch to something else as the Toyos have always been brilliant apart from the T1-Rs which took loads of getting used to.

Cheers Jonny.
Old 13 August 2006, 09:51 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use goodyear F1s (never used Toyos so can't compare) found the f1s had plenty of grip (in the dry at least) even when they needed replacing.
My mate has Bridgestone Potenzas which he likes.
Old 13 August 2006, 09:57 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I gotta say i had T1-R all round until i got a bloody front puncture, so only half worn, i had to change both fronts, and could only get T1-S at the time, now this i prefer i really do. I feel like i have more grip and control with the S than i did before with the supposedly better R.
imho stick with the T1-S.
This is on an MY03 WRX.
Old 13 August 2006, 11:28 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always used Eagle F1's with a brief interlude on Toyos cos I got them cheap with a set of rims. They were like night and day to be honest - the Toyos were OK in the dry, but terrible in the wet as soon as they had a little wear. I really frightened myself, having been used to the Eagles.
Old 14 August 2006, 03:53 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

I had toyo t1s on the last car, a classic sti (16") and current 2001 bugeye sti (17") and have always thought they were good.
I replaced them last week with a set of Michelin Pilot sport PS2s from costco. They have an offer on this month if you buy 4 there's 20% off. Normally they are £115 each but I got the four for £370 all in, which is around the same as a set of toyos or F1s.
I went for these because there was a survey on here a while back and they came out quite well rated as an all rounder for both wet and dry. They aren't scrubbed in yet so I don't know exactly how they will perform but I certainly haven't felt they have less grip than the toyos had. They seem to have sharpened up the turn in a bit and are quieter running as well as giving less vibration.
Only time will tell how many miles I get out of them and how they perform when fully scrubbed in but I thought I'd mention them as an alternative.