Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

cleaning brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2006, 11:32 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cleaning brake calipers

Just bought some 4 pots for my car (thanks doug2507) and they could do with a little tidying up.
Has anyone used caliper lacquer to make the calipers look as new (or as near as possible) and if so is it any good?

Thanks
Paul
Old 10 August 2006, 11:50 AM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHEN I GOT MINE, I JUST GOT A WIRE BRUSH TO THEM FOR A FEW HOURS, THEN WIPED OF WITH A DAMP CLOTH, WAITED A FEW HOURS, WIPED WITH BREAK CLEANER AND THEN PAINTED WITH HAMMERITE
Old 10 August 2006, 11:56 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

cheers going to cheat a liitle bit and dip them in an ultrasonic bath
Old 10 August 2006, 11:48 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Had to rebuild mine recently so after spraying them with brake cleaner and knocking off rust and crud with a screwdriver and hammer, I then soaked them in petrol for an hour. That took off any old traces of paint and got it basically back to the metal. Sanded it all down further, tried to get as much of the remaining surface rust off as I could, then masked off the cylinders and bolt holes and sprayed it with a few coats of matt black high temp paint. The finish came up a bit powdery at first but there's no denying it looks hardcore when they're on the car. This is just my personal opinion, but brightly coloured 'look at me' shiny calipers look well gay. And I should know because I used to have bright yellow painted calipers a few years ago LOL. Grey, black, silver - they're the caliper colours to have. Look at Alcon and AP, you don't see them in bright red do you?

To answer your question instead of ranting on about some bollocks, yes you can get good results with caliper paint and lacquer, as long as you do a lot of prep work beforehand, getting it all clean, flat and smooth before breaking out the paint. Don't bodge it and try it with the calipers on the car. Combine it with a brake service and get the calipers totally off so you can paint them properly.
Old 11 August 2006, 09:16 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that silent running.
The brakes are yet to be fitted to the car and yes i to hate the 'look at me' caliper colours (i've got a black car and the calipers are going to be black)
What grade of sandpaper did you use?

Last edited by myblackwrx; 11 August 2006 at 10:32 AM.