Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

POSS. GROUP BUY - Big brake kits..

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2001, 09:27 AM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I will have a 325mm set with the larger 4 pots fitted for Brands if anyone wants a closer look.
Now fitted to car.

[Edited by Nigel Bowles - 11/11/2001 11:27:51 PM]
Old 06 November 2001, 12:58 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ok.

Due to the total loss of direction and failure of my previous group buy post, I will try again. This time I will not make any comparisons with AP, so please, unless you are interested in the kit, or need any information to aid your decision, please kindly refrain from posting in this thread.

Thank You.

I have managed to negotiate a cracking group buy on the above large ally brake kits for the impreza. The manufacturer of these claims that they are on a par with the more commonly known branded kits, in terms of quality and performance.

Obviously Hi Spec are mostly unknown among us and so many will be understandably wary of parting with hard earned green for a relatively unproven setup. All I can say is, for such little outlay I think it's worth the risk. Ultimately, even if they're not as good as the branded stuff, they'll be a damn site better than the standard Subaru fare!!

Details are as follows:-

- HI SPEC BILLET "MONSTER 4" POT CALIPERS, CNC MACHINED WITH LIGHTWEIGHT ALLY BODY

- POWERFUL 39mm OR 42mm PISTON, UNEQUAL OR EQUAL SIZED PISTON OPTIONS AVAILABLE

- RIGID DESIGN ENGINEERED TO ELIMINATE FLEX (EXTRA BOLTS)

- INTERNAL FLUID CROSSOVER ELIMINATES EXTERNAL TUBING

- FULLY DUST SEALED TO PROTECT FROM THE INGRESS OF DIRT, SO PROTECTING THE 4 PISTON FROM DAMAGE AND CORROSION

- CROSS DRILLED, GROOVED OR COMBINATION TWO PIECE DISKS WITH ALLY BELLS

- FULL FITTING KITS AND INSTRUCTIONS

Kits are available in a variety of disk sizes. Sizes and prices, with the group discount are below. We need at least 15 sets to qualify for the discount.

310 x 28 disc and caliper kit £700
325 x 30 disc and caliper kit £750
335 x 32 disc and caliper kit £800
355 x 30 disc and caliper kit £900

These kits take the standard AP 4 pot sized pad which are also available from a variety of brands at a small extra cost. Braided hoses are £14 each.

Please let me know if you are interested or need more info. If interested please feel free to mail me offline also.

Cheers,

MS

(PS - I have no connection with this company whatsoever, just spotted a good product and thought you might be interested at this price..)
Old 06 November 2001, 05:39 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Still interested in a set with hoses
Old 07 November 2001, 11:07 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Nigel,
long time no speak, will have a look at your setup on monday, as new brakes interest me (as does, morettes, downpipe, etc... )

Martin,
What's the closing date on this group buy? plus what kit would best fit under my 16inch wheels (not standard subaru ones)? plus what would be the best pad and disc combination?
Old 07 November 2001, 12:30 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Markus,

there is no closing date for the group buy. In order to qualify for the group buy discount, we need about 15 kits ordered at once. At the mo I have around 6 or 7 people interested.

Disc wise, for 16" wheels the 310mm kit will fit, I think grooved seems to offer the best performance as drilled discs have been known to crack. Pad choice seems to be very much a personal thing, although if you are on a budget the EBC Greenstuff are good value at about £30 a set.

If you are definately interested I would appreciate if you could mail me at my profile email address.

Will keep you all posted.

Cheers,

MS
Old 07 November 2001, 01:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Martin,
Thanks for the info. I am interested but probably won't be able to buy until after christmas (you know how it is, kids pressies, or which mod first, brakes, downpipe or morettes! ) This explains why I was asking about lentgth of time of this offer.

Any possibility of giving me rough total cost inc vat (and delivery? what about fitting? can they do it? Hi spec/sejoc have place in dartford, or is this someone else?) of the kit that will fit under my 16's with AP like discs and greenstuff pads.

Any ideas if these guys do anything for the rear setup? preferably for MY94 WRX Wagon.

Old 07 November 2001, 01:35 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Wink

Markus,

The 310mm kit is £700 inc Vat. Braided hoses are £14 each (2 needed), and pads about £30. Delivery will be about £10 I would guess.

Hi Spec can do a replacement larger rear disc that would retain the original rear caliper. And yes, this is the same Hi Spec you mentioned. I think they can fit stuff at their site if needed.

The prices I have quoted are at least 20% off normal retail prices. If you really fancy a kit, it would be worthwhile slamming the lot on the dreaded card and worrying about it after Xmas! I am hoping to get enough interest within the next week or two if possible. Go on, live life on the edge..

Cheers,

MS
Old 07 November 2001, 03:30 PM
bigrex
Scooby Regular

I am definitely interested in a Monster 4 pot setup with 335x32 disks. Some friends of mine with Hondas have had these kits fitted, and they are superb. They can also do rear conversions IIRC.
There is a 6 pot on the way in the new year.
Old 07 November 2001, 03:37 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Cool

All interested parties - you have mail.

Cheers,

MS
Old 08 November 2001, 11:37 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi all,

Nearly there now. If you fancy a kit, or need to know more, either post on here or drop me an email.

Cheers,

MS
Old 08 November 2001, 12:13 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

If you are going to upgrade the hoses to s/s then you'll need to do all 4, not just the front ones. Else alot of the benefit is lost.
Chuck
Old 09 November 2001, 04:02 AM
inmotion
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

I just wanted to verify that the kits fit the 2002 WRX. Yes?
Old 09 November 2001, 04:35 AM
Jon Bogert
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

inmotion, you should specify what wheels you have. If you're talking about the stock 16x6.5 wheels, I don't think anyone in the U.K. has even seen them...
Old 09 November 2001, 09:46 AM
inmotion
Scooby Newbie

Oh, I meant for hub, carrier attachment, offset and such. We have 18x8 OZ Racing Superleggera wheels on our WRX Wagon.
Old 09 November 2001, 11:02 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Inmotion,

the 335 or 355mm would be fine for the 18 Oz wheels. I have the 18 oz P1 wheels on my car and I'm going for the 355mm setup.

Cheers,

MS
Old 12 November 2001, 01:34 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just an update to all interested parties. I have 10 people who definately want the kits now. I'm going to see if this is enough for the group buy.

All people ordering from the US will not incur VAT, so that makes it even cheaper!

I will mail you all with the final prices including all the bits you want and postage/shipping some time this week.

Take a look at Nigel's photo above, for an idea of how the kit looks on the car. Very nice if you ask me..

Any last minute interested parties, let me know by the end of the week, it's not too late.

BigRex, you have mail.

Cheers,

MS
Old 12 November 2001, 10:40 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Question

Martin, you say the EBC Green Stuff is £30 a set ?
Is this a special price as well ?
I'm asking because I paid £90 for Green Stuff MY99 pads !

Ta Pete
Old 14 November 2001, 09:22 AM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just a quick update for all that have asked –

The kit I had fitted is 325mm x 30mm disks, and HI-Spec 4-pots (large but equal piston size), EBC Red Stuff. I already had braided lines all round. Along with this the rears were replaced with standard size, vented and grooved disks (EBC I think) and standard EBC pads.
The initial pedal feel was better than I expected after having all corners replaced. I took the first 200 miles with care, apart from the standard suicidal drivers that just seem to know you don’t want to brake hard, a big thanks to the Red Skoda in West Kingsdown

So after this very quick bedding in process the brakes have now bedded in well.

Initial pedal feel seems much the same as my old Subaru 4-pots for about the first 5%, after that the feedback is amazing and the power just builds. The feel promotes confidence and is easy to vary braking pressure.

One thing I have found though, I can now lock up the wheels in the dry, on Pirelli's if you stamp on the brakes (Skoda mention again) which I hae never had before. Curing this takes the slightest movement and then back on the brakes.

I have also tried a series of roads and roundabouts that I know promotes brake fade on most cars. I used to get fade after about 3 hard miles (one circuit), with these, 10 miles later and bored that no one was out to play with I gave up trying to fade them ... maybe a Clang 'n' Ball will test them better (KRIS).

The final thing that made me smile yesterday was taking another Scooby owner out (AP/Brembo/Alcon disciple) and just touching the brakes and dragging the car to a stop I was told "there almost as good". Didn't have the heart to say I'd just rested my foot on the pedal.
Old 14 November 2001, 07:20 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers Nigel,

thanks for the report. They sound superb, just as I was hoping. Everyone else convinced now!?

Let me know if you've changed yer mind..

Cheers,

MS.
Old 17 November 2001, 12:57 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ok Ladies and gents,

due to a few let downs, delays and people dropping out, this group buy is definately in session but will be delayed until next week. For those of you who have definately given the thumbs up, I apologise, I am trying my best. I can assure you all that this group buy will happen as soon as I get the relevant amount of concrete oreders.

Sorry to mess you all about! For the undesisive among you, there is still time if you hurry - this offer will not be repeated!! ( Unless someone can be arsed to go to all the trouble that I have..)

Cheers,

MS
Old 17 November 2001, 07:26 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Hi peeps

Just to let you know that i have this brake kit fitted and it is the best kit out there.

These are great brake kits and i would recomend any one to get these fitted.

Geoff knows everything about brakes there is to know!

JIM
Old 19 November 2001, 07:36 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

martin-you have mail.
cheers
Old 19 November 2001, 07:45 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ok Hi Spec fans, here are all the names of those who definately want to go ahead with the group buy. If you have changed your mind again (you know who you are ) or I have missed you out, or you haven't told me yet, please email me to let me know.

Here goes;

Victor - USA
Mike Cuuhiara - USA
Jim Nothing - USA
Jon Bogert - USA
Trevor - USA

Adam Butler - UK
Darren Hughes - UK
Adrian Middleton - UK
Mike Singh - UK
Matt Barnes - UK
David Nelson - UK
Jerry Burchett - UK
Paul Baddams - UK
Jon Bogert - USA

Matt B,

didn't get yer mail mate, you interested, shall I add you to the list?

Cheers for now,

MS
Old 19 November 2001, 07:53 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

martin-you have mail.
cheers
Old 19 November 2001, 07:53 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't you just hate it when that happens..

[Edited by Martin J Stirling - 19/11/2001 20:00:02]
Old 19 November 2001, 08:03 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

martin-you have mail.
cheers
Old 19 November 2001, 08:08 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Cool

**** I'm more stupid than I thought I was.

Sorry Matt, just realised that you're Mathew Barnes -Doh!

Still haven't got yer mail though?

MS
Old 20 November 2001, 12:00 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Jon Bogert's in the list twice as well, FYI
Old 20 November 2001, 12:18 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's the drugs mate..
Old 27 November 2001, 01:34 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Talking

The deadline for this group buy is now passed. All participants have been notified by email with order and payment instructions. Any very last minute orders had better ask me nicely by the end of today (Tuesday).

Any problems, please phone me on 07977 502186 or mail me at the usual address.

Enjoy

MS

Quick Reply: POSS. GROUP BUY - Big brake kits..