wrx (03) brake upgrade suggestions - £350 budget

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2006, 12:18 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Question wrx (03) brake upgrade suggestions - £350 budget

I've been told by the garage that I need to replace the front discs and pads on my completely standard 03 WRX (after 22k miles, is this reasonable?)

The garage will fit standard discs and pads for 300, but I think that sounds a bit like a rip-off, plus as the car is the "second car" I don't mind spending a couple of weekends fiddling around with fitting stuff and not using the car meanwhile.

So, the question is, for 350GBP, what would you recommend in the way of discs and pads?

To be honest, I don't really mind the standard brakes as I seldom get to drive the car in anger anyway (damn traffic everywhere you go), but if 350 could fit some uprated parts, that would be cool.

Would it be a bad idea to get some second hand STI calipers + discs? Can they be had for 350 quid anyway?

I was looking at the godspeed 335mm kit as well for £625, but that would mean saving up for another month, plus I've heard mixed reviews on the kits (from what I gather they are better than standard, but are they worth the price seeing as they retain the original caliper?)

I'm getting very confused, brakes seem like a huge jungle to me
Old 04 July 2006, 09:25 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pagid RS42-1's or Ferodo DS2500 pads and grooved discs from http://www.asperformance.com/, 0191 4103770, will do you, possibly get Goodridge brakelines into your budget from Alyn (stockcar on here) as well

Actually there's a group buy on brakelines from alyn at the mo http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=525725

Last edited by richiewong; 04 July 2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04 July 2006, 01:07 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I got my Pagid RS42-1 pads from AS Performance for my WRX03 too as I wasn't too impressed with the standard pads. Give Alyn a ring (number in the link above) and have a chat. I'm also going to get the braided hoses and DOT5.1 fluid. You won't be able to fit STI calipers unless you have STI alloys fitted as WRX wheels won't fit over the bigger calipers.

Andy.
Old 04 July 2006, 01:21 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

I agree with the sentiments above.

I bought Pagid RS 4-2-2's from Alyn (probably too extreme for most people and general road use - but I love 'em) with Goodrich hoses and DOT 5.1 brake fluid.
I matched these with a set of grooved discs from Ian Godney at Godspeed Motorsport (cross drilled will be quieter and fine for "non track" use).

Whole lot cost me near as dammit your exact budget!
Old 04 July 2006, 01:29 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

I should also say that there is a substantial improvement in pedal stiffness and the pads have rather more initial "bite". Although there isn't a huge increase in power - it's certainly beneficial - not least in terms of confidence!
Old 04 July 2006, 01:33 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cool, thanks for the answers guys, seems like I'll be giving AS Performance a call

AndyMoody: Ah yes, I forgot to mention that the car is standard apart from the STI alloys
Old 04 July 2006, 01:41 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Echo the above.

Myself and Richie fitted padgid 421's, goodridge hoses and 5.1dot fluid (all from Alyn @ASP..) around the same time and for the money (~£150 iirc) it's a very effective (needed..!) upgrade. Only down side we've found with the Pagids is they're dirty buggers..! Performance more than makes up for this though).

However if I needed new discs at the same time I would really consider saving a bit extra for the Godspeed conversion as it includes pads, lines, fluid etc...
Old 05 July 2006, 03:01 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Only worth fitting uprated discs/pads if you find the current setup inadequate. OE spec discs can be had for much cheapness.

Performance setups normally come with a compromise.

Bob
Old 05 July 2006, 03:06 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

i doubt your oe discs are nknackered anyway at 22k.....get a second opinion, as bob says it depends what you use the car for...little pointin going for uprated larger discs etc if you only pootle around as you say you do...

if you want better performance on the cheap though, just upgrade to a set of braided goodrich brake hoses, decent fluid and better pads Ferodo DS2500 or similar....at least that way they wont fade after 5 mins....
Old 05 July 2006, 04:24 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Black Diamond Combi Discs and Predator Pads £250 from Scoobyworld. Fitted by me Free. £100 for some braided hoses. That would cost for fitting.
Old 05 July 2006, 06:38 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Neilo
i doubt your oe discs are nknackered anyway at 22k.....get a second opinion, as bob says it depends what you use the car for...little pointin going for uprated larger discs etc if you only pootle around as you say you do...

if you want better performance on the cheap though, just upgrade to a set of braided goodrich brake hoses, decent fluid and better pads Ferodo DS2500 or similar....at least that way they wont fade after 5 mins....
I think I'll have to have a look in the weekend when I get the car back. Like you say, I would have expected a set of discs to last a bit longer than 22k miles, but on the other hand I think the problem is that I ran out of pad, so to speak (complete numpty with cars, unfortunately)

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll update this thread with how I get on once I decide on what to do
Old 05 July 2006, 08:56 PM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

If you dont drive hard then I would have thought you would have got more mileage out of the discs than that , the Godspeed 335mm kit is much better than the standard sized discs , but if you dont drive hard perhaps they are overkill for you , they also do standard sized grooved discs , for about £100 a pair , along with some Ferodo DS2500 pads for about £125 a set , and your way under your budget , maybe fit some goodrich hoses , there's a group buy for these at the moment , and some good quality fluid , job done , you could fit some grooved rear discs and be close to £350 all in
Old 06 July 2006, 01:01 AM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

I've got DS2500 pads and EBC grooved disks with braided hoses, works really well for me! Tried some EBC redstuff pads and didnt like them.
Old 06 July 2006, 03:57 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Replaced my 02 WRX brakes with EBC non grooved discs and EBC yellow stuff pads, braided hoses and uprated fluid. Amazing difference.

That came to below your budget also.

Contact APIs for further prices
Old 07 July 2006, 09:04 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

or the forum sponsor at the top of the page....

or Mocomracing.com
Old 09 September 2006, 08:39 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Tread from the dead, but I thought I'd update you anyway After looking at the options available, I decided to save up and get the Godspeed 335 kit. It sounds a bit sad, but I like the bling factor of bigger discs

In the end, it came down to either the Godspeed kit or the Compbrake one.

The compbrake kit would have been a bit more expensive to buy, but then I could probably have sold the standard calipers to make up the difference. The deciding factor was that the compbrake kit doesn't have proper dust seals (afaik), and there is no way I could live with a kit that needs cleaning (no matter how occasional) I know people say that the lack of dust seals is not a problem, but I'm not prepared to take any chances

The car's been off road for two months now, so hopefully I'll be able to MOT it and tax it once the kit is delivered
Old 12 September 2006, 03:52 PM
Squadron-Leader
Scooby Regular

Henrik

Not that you're probably bothered now, but my local dealer told me they usually replace discs and pads between 22K and 25K miles on the 04 cars.

I've managed to get my 04 up to 30100 miles using the original discs and pads! 30K service is happening on Friday and new discs, pads, and lines are going on.

I got some very good advice from Alyn at http://www.asperformance.com and in the end went for...

295mm vented 8 groove discs
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Full set of Goodridge hoses

...which came to a little over £300.

Hope I notice the difference

J.
Old 12 September 2006, 04:48 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

To replace standard items for less try http://www.speedways.co.uk/. Best to ring to check sizes as I was sent wrong size rear disks. Very helpful though and money back no problems.
Old 15 September 2006, 07:08 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Squadron-Leader
Henrik

Not that you're probably bothered now, but my local dealer told me they usually replace discs and pads between 22K and 25K miles on the 04 cars.

I've managed to get my 04 up to 30100 miles using the original discs and pads! 30K service is happening on Friday and new discs, pads, and lines are going on.

I got some very good advice from Alyn at http://www.asperformance.com and in the end went for...

295mm vented 8 groove discs
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Full set of Goodridge hoses

...which came to a little over £300.

Hope I notice the difference

J.
You must have a nice dealer, mine wanted to charge me 300