sorry brakes again! -but my life depends on it

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2006, 10:54 PM
jimbob6242
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sorry brakes again! -but my life depends on it

Hi,

Just joined and really could do with a little help, have a 03MY WRX with standard brake setup, totally love the car, but I have to do something about the brakes, so so scary and smoke everywhere after fast runs!

Thinking of fitting feredo DS2500 Pads, Goodrich braided hoses with some upgraded fluid but really need to know if it will make any real difference and if i need to get ventilated disc's to go with it?

if anyone was has any thoughts or suggestions i would be most grateful, no plans to go on track(yet) just fast road use

Cheers

Jim
Old 13 June 2006, 12:24 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

just fit the AP Racing brakes Kits and you have no worries
but be warned ...it will cost you
Old 13 June 2006, 07:46 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Bighead is right, but try calling Alyn at AS Performance (stockcar on here) he might have some pads to help you out, but the £1600 AP's will be the answer (you may need to change wheel diameters to suit!)
Graham

ps: I'm facing the same problem
Old 13 June 2006, 01:41 PM
jimbob6242
Scooby Regular

Thanks

£1600 is going to be too much, buying a house and her indoors is already eyeing up my pride and joy!

What about trying to source some second hand STI calipers and disc's? maybe from someone who has gone to AP's. Would these slot straight in and if anybody has done this did you notice a big difference?

Thanks guys

Jim
Old 13 June 2006, 07:41 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

If Ap's are out of reach, then if you havent already got them, I would put grooved and vented discs both front and rear with ferrodo ds2500's all round.

Then start saving for some AP's
Old 13 June 2006, 09:05 PM
jimbob6242
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate - i have totally standard at the moment so i guess new disc's all round!

Just out of interest, if it were to be your cash would you go for the brembo set-up from the STi (New age) a chap i know maybe selling a set of nearly new ones, but i am not sure if i would get better results from simply upgrading the disc's and pads (as suggested) and leaving my standard calipers on

Thanks

Jim
Old 20 June 2006, 07:42 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

A bit late but if its any use..................
Can't really comment on New age Sti/Brembo etc but,If the brakes are not good enough/smoking /fading etc then I would at least change the pads for some good ones for now as I had brake fade when I first got my scoob and decided to upgrade the front discs and pads(Black Diamond/Ferodo DS2500. As far as I know brake fade is usually down to the pad not being able to cope especially if standard.
It will only be £100ish to try a set of pads so not too bad I guess.

Just to add, I have since never had brake fade after fitting the new pads/discs whilst doing some very spirrited A/B road driving.

Trending Topics

Old 23 June 2006, 09:39 PM
jimbob6242
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks

Cheers mate, i think that's good advice, I won't ever take it on the track so i am sure i would never get proper use from the really expensive stuff like the AP's.

i am going to do what you have done and upgrade pads and disc's. I don't often use itthe car in anger, but when your in the mood the standard setup is shocking and takes all the fun away -

thanks

jim
Old 24 June 2006, 12:15 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> and if i need to get ventilated disc's to go with it?

03 WRX has ventilated discs as standard???
Old 24 June 2006, 11:47 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jimbob6242
Cheers mate, i think that's good advice, I won't ever take it on the track so i am sure i would never get proper use from the really expensive stuff like the AP's.

i
jim
lol You will if you had to brake in a flash before an accident
the AP kits is unbelieveable and I had the prodrive 6pots Alcon before I upgrade mine to AP 6 pots ....the difference is like night and day !
Old 24 June 2006, 12:09 PM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

Have you looked at the Godspeed 335mm kit , your standard calipers are used on this kit , and there's a group buy on them going on.
Old 24 June 2006, 08:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'm not being sarcastic, but you could consider a much cheaper and more beneficial route. I used to be the last of the late brakers, wearing out pads for fun and often experiencing fade. Last year I took some tuition from a Police Class1 Pursuit driver in Roadcraft driving techniques. On roads where I used to approach a corner at 100+, brake heavily to maybe 50 before turn-in before getting back on the power from the apex, I now approach at 130+, gearbox brake down to maybe 100 with no braking and steer through on power, increasing from the apex. Last week in Devon my GF actually timed me on an 18 mile B-road run, during which I braked once for another vehicle, and my average speed was 72. It's all about sightlines, hazard awareness and vehicle balance and momentum. When you start getting it right you simply cannot believe how quick your car can corner when it's weight is balanced and controlled.

I also upgraded the brakes too, fitting Goodridge braided lines with DOT5.1 fluid and Ferodo DS2000 (DSPF ?) pads, to great effect. I would be wary of DS2500 if you aren't going to track as they can be unpredictable from cold.
Old 26 June 2006, 03:55 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
fitting Goodridge braided lines with DOT5.1 fluid and Ferodo DS2000 (DSPF ?) pads, to great effect. I would be wary of DS2500 if you aren't going to track as they can be unpredictable from cold.
Excellent advice, and first port of call. I'd be inclined to go for the 2500's though.

Also echo the advice about advanced driver training.

This should be an adequate setup for road use. If you keep your inputs smooth, rather than rushed and aggressive, you'll get much more out of the car, much less wear, and you may even find yourself covering ground more quickly.